Questions about Soldiers Medal Numbering

As I've been going through the topics, I've seen reference to some medals being numbered - with some references to numbers on Soldiers Medals.

Are they all numbered in some way? Were only early versions numbered? How were/are they numbered?

I've never spent a lot of time looking at the one I have - I had to go down to the basement and hunt for it in a storage box along with a bunch of other awards, uniform items, etc. The only number I can find on it is on the ribbon backing behind the pin. Is that a distinctive number or just some type of identification of the part?

Mark V

382957612.jpg

"If they're not shooting at you, you're not trying hard enough. Now move out and draw fire!"

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Mark, the early SM's were numbered. You would need to check along the bottom edge of the medal itself [not the brooch numbering style of AM's or LOM's]. The first brooch was a split wrap followed by a full wrap. When they ran out of wraps then slot brooches were used until they were done with the numbered pieces. If you're really interested there was a book written about only SM's by Fred Borch and Westlake. Good collecting

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks for the great info!! Mine is still in the original cardboard shipping box and based on the label it looks to have been produced in 1990 - so no numbering.

I hadn't looked at the medal since it was awarded. I did frame the two presentation certificates that come with the award - maybe I should find a better place for the medal case than my basement storage room. :rolleyes:

Mark V

382957612.jpg

"If they're not shooting at you, you're not trying hard enough. Now move out and draw fire!"

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• 11 months later...

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,

Chris / ADMIN

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.