Bought this hgu 33 what squadron/aircraft ?

Kyle80s

post-163622-0-96477100-1473762681_thumb.jpgpost-163622-0-91667900-1473762706_thumb.jpgpost-163622-0-59260400-1473762740_thumb.jpgpost-163622-0-13629300-1473762767.jpg

I bought this helmet because it all looks so original,and it came with the mbu 14 mask,it looks to be from the us navy or us marine corps,anyway I have been googling for ages trying to find what aircraft and squadron it belonged to but cannot find a match,unfortunately the seller is no help,as they bought it as part of a lot,what do you think of it?

I have checked for vf 51 and it would be great if it matched the helmet only the eagle has 2 wings as opposed to the single wing on this helmet,but the star is there and is implying vf 51,if the wearer went custom on the screaming eagle design,then it could be plausible,this is a niggling puzzle yet to be solved,here we have an original retro hgu 33 piece of history I cannot identify,yet.

Just a shot in the dark but is there any hidden identification markings on the helmet or inside under the head lining that may give a clue as to what unit this helmet belonged to? This is my very first helmet and so a newby in this department.

Sometimes there are notes under the visor cover.A real long shot on any useful information.You may have to keep looking and hope something pops up.

I've been looking and have found nothing.

Welcome to the crazy world of flight helmets!

Bob

Cheers Bob for looking,yeah it's crazy flight helmet time here,i have already had the visor cover off and it's all clean,this bird on the helmet has to match a squadron and I cannot find a match,but if I do I will post it here.

Check out Marine Attack Training Squadron VMAT 102 (Skyhawks) They have the bird and star. Seems they stylized it on their aircraft. They have an active association.You may try to contact them and see if there is a chance it is one of theirs.

northcoastaero

Nice helmet and mask. I agree that VMAT-102 could be the squadron. What are the three dates in a circle on the left or right

cheek on the mask face piece? The mask needs a mini-regulator and lower high pressure REDAR hose with locking connector

on the bottom. I agree that there could be a name on the back side of the leather covered form fit liner (HGU-33/P) or on the

front side of the styrofoam liner with pads (HGU-34/P). The helmet and mask set is probably pre 1987 era because of the all

green mask and using metal hose clamps instead of the later zip ties. The following is the Skyhawk Association website page

on VMAT-102:

http://a4skyhawk.org/content/vmat-102-skyhawks-1

72psb, on 14 Sept 2016 - 1:21 PM, said:

Check out Marine Attack Training Squadron VMAT 102 (Skyhawks) They have the bird and star. Seems they stylized it on their aircraft. They have an active association.You may try to contact them and see if there is a chance it is one of theirs.

As soon as I saw that it was my thought exactly. I was attached to VMAT 102 from 82-86 and that is what some of the pilots had on their helmets. It was a training squadron, They(pilots) were taught how to fly in flight school and sent to us to learn how to ATTACK. We flew the A4M's Skyhawks and they learned how to drop bombs and shoot the 20mm at the range here. When they graduated they were sent to the fleet and assigned to combat squadrons.

Semper Fi

Phil

Thank you azphil I think that wraps this one up,so you actually saw this bird on some of the helmets? First hand? So does this mean this helmet was may be worn by an attack instructor?

Thank you azphil I think that wraps this one up,so you actually saw this bird on some of the helmets? First hand? So does this mean this helmet was may be worn by an attack instructor?

You are quite welcome Kyle,

You are correct in your thoughts about it being one of the instructor pilots helmets. The students pilots just had plain white reflector tape on theirs. The instructors(Captains to Lt.Cols)& CO had the Hawks on theirs.

We are having a reunion on the 22nd of October here in Yuma,AZ.. A buddy of mine and local Yumain was Flight Equipment and handled these on a daily basis and did the art work on these helmets. Please Don't think the pilots had that talent!!!! LOL I was avionics (Cpl/Sgt), But I'll ask him who was Huey.. These were their call names, Not their real names!!

I'll get back with you on this as it kinda hit home!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

Tried to add this to the post above, But took to long and the edit option was gone. Just noting that we had TA4F's and TA4J's that the instructors would fly with the new pilots(Back seat) and when the FNG's became proficient they would fly solo in the A4M's which had the Full Avionic's package. Which is the hump on the back of those A4's. Jammers and anti missle alert systems and ARBS. Angle Rate Bombing Systems..

Like mentioned above. I'll get back with Ya!!!

Semper Fi

Phil.

Thank you so much azphil for all this info,this is very interesting and I am excited about the coming conclusion of this piece of history, I plan on keeping this helmet in its original form,i like it as is,looks great,now we have information on its background it makes much more special,cheers azphil and all for your help and have a great time at the reunion.

I am surprised no one else picked it up,it was on eBay some time,i had it cheaper than advertised and the mask also,and I was lucky the seller would send to the UK,postage was 65 dollars here in UK customs charges just 30 pounds,there is an eBay site in Germany called eBay kleinaziegan a chap is selling a hgu 33 jolly Rogers with mask and wants 1800 euros looks nice helmet,but cannot tell if it's original,he says he bought it from Japan,he only accepts payment through bank transfer which we all know is lacking the cover provided by PayPal,i opted out went with my gut feeling,now I,m really happy with what I have right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update I have managed to remove the lining and was tough,it is solid yellowish brownish foam covered with black leather,in two halves,written on them Lt col Huey L9 ,but no squadron indication,i wonder what the L9 means?

• 1 month later...

Here is a picture of an a4 Skyhawk from h&ms 31 aggressor squadron check the back seat pilots helmet is this a possible match?

post-163622-0-11780800-1479584818_thumb.jpg

post-163622-0-37768400-1479584836_thumb.jpg

Hi thanks for the links here is a picture of the original squadron patch,notice the bird is all in red,i think the star on the helmet might mean aggressor pilot?,I seen lot of aggressors with stars,i did research on Lt col,and only the USAF and USMC have those ranks,but this helmet and mask is not in a usaf configuration,definately USMC.post-163622-0-05975300-1479600192.jpg