WWII Philippines(1941-1942) Uniform Questions

2BeSure

So my great grandfather served on Corregidor in the 60th Coast Artillery (AA) and I'm going to attempt to reassemble the uniform and gear he might have worn. Before I start watching things like crazy on ebay I have a some questions about things I'm confused about or just don't know.

Here is my understanding so far:

He would have worn a Class C cotton khaki uniform. The shirt (M1937) has a stand up collar, 6 buttons and no epualettes(EM). In 1943 they changed to a different shirt with a convertible collar(and 7 buttons?).

(I couldn't find good original shirt pictures)

M1937 shirt:

post-162917-0-85984700-1473707738.jpg

Convertible collar shirt:

post-162917-0-83722800-1473708101.jpg

When I look on ebay, I see shirts that look like the M1937 but are listed as Korean War and Vietnam. After the war did they change back to the M1937 pattern? And if so how do you tell the difference?

The pants are straight cut and have slash side and rear side pockets. There were no major changes that I know of. The khaki webbing belt was an inch wide and had a brass buckle. Would he have worn this belt along with some sort of pistol belt? Did he carry a weapon?

Would the regular Coast Artillery "kit"(what they wore, carried, etc.) differ from an antiaircraft "kit"? Did the they wear M1917A1 helmets?

I've got more questions but this should do for know.

Thanks for any help,

Brandon

Hi!

I made a display once of the a guy in the 60th CAC as they would have appeared circa early 1942. You seem to have a pretty good idea of things already. The later shirt is pretty easy to tell apart; the collar cut is totally different to allow it to be worn with (closed up) or without (open lapels) a necktie. You may already know it, but the enlisted men didn't wear collar brass on the shirts then, so you won't need regimental numbered collar brass for it.

Yes on the M1917A1 helmet;he would have worn one since it was the standard helmet in issue at the time. Some of the guys did carry weapons, especially when it became impossible for them to use their big guns. Have you read the book "Captured on Corregidor" by Col. Wright? The author was in command of one of the batteries (Battery 'C' I think), and it is worth reading. Not surprisingly there aren't a whole lot of surviving photos from the 1941-42 campaign there, but he should have had a gas mask.

PS - If you are going for a post-December 8th, 1941 look, I would not display the necktie with the shirt.

post-162917-0-85984700-1473707738.jpg

This one above will be correct for the time period, the main clue is the paneled fly, this one below is the war time version with out the panel, these types are usually "SPECIAL", meaning they have a Gas Flap under the front, and gusseted cuff panels, for Gas Protection. OD Wool shirts of of the same design in this regard, pre-early war, paneled fly, wartime "SPECIAL" with Gas Flap, and gusseted cuff panels.

post-162917-0-83722800-1473708101.jpg

The type adopted post war (1947), below, was just like the officers shirt of WWII, in that it now had shoulder loops, and was now worn by all ranks not just by officers, OD wool shirts too, EMs now wore them with shoulder loops.

post-34986-0-92936700-1473732944.jpg

Yes on the M1917A1 helmet;he would have worn one since it was the standard helmet in issue at the time. Some of the guys did carry weapons, especially when it became impossible for them to use their big guns. Have you read the book "Captured on Corregidor" by Col. Wright? The author was in command of one of the batteries (Battery 'C' I think), and it is worth reading. Not surprisingly there aren't a whole lot of surviving photos from the 1941-42 campaign there, but he should have had a gas mask.

PS - If you are going for a post-December 8th, 1941 look, I would not display the necktie with the shirt.

I'll have to pick that book up and thanks for the tip!

The type adopted post war (1947), below, was just like the officers shirt of WWII, in that it now had shoulder loops, and was now worn by all ranks not just by officers, OD wool shirts too, EMs now wore them with shoulder loops.

So the main difference between the officer and the post war officer shirt is that the first one had a gas flap?

So the main difference between the officer and the post war officer shirt is that the first one had a gas flap?

The style of khaki shirt worn from the late 1940s all the way up into the 1960s looked identical to the officer's shirt style from WWII. With the obvious exception in the 1960s style when khaki shirts were short sleeve. There were no gas flaps in this M1937 style shirt both during WWII and after. Best way to identify the M1937 styling is the front button panel or "plaquet" as known in the garment world and the two piece collar design.

In the future when using photos from our site please place a reference to our site when doing so. I don't mind that posters use our photos but I would appreciate letting everyone know where you got them.

The style of khaki shirt worn from the late 1940s all the way up into the 1960s looked identical to the officer's shirt style from WWII. With the obvious exception in the 1960s style when khaki shirts were short sleeve. There were no gas flaps in this M1937 style shirt both during WWII and after. Best way to identify the M1937 styling is the front button panel or "plaquet" as known in the garment world and the two piece collar design.

In the future when using photos from our site please place a reference to our site when doing so. I don't mind that posters use our photos but I would appreciate letting everyone know where you got them.

Was that me ww2imp? If so, awfully sorry, I just did a real quick online search and these were the best and clearest.

I think I get it now. The only way to tell the difference between a WWII era M1937 (officer) shirt and a late 1940s era shirt would be the date, correct?

So sorry about the photos, I have to remember that next time.

P.S. out of curiosity, do you know why they changed back to the M1937 shirt design?

I think I get it now. The only way to tell the difference between a WWII era M1937 (officer) shirt and a late 1940s era shirt would be the date, correct?

So sorry about the photos, I have to remember that next time.

P.S. out of curiosity, do you know why they changed back to the M1937 shirt design?

Answer 1: is yes, the date, but more importantly, issue shirts of the M1947 type no longer will have that Nomenclature gauze tag in the skirt, now the Nomenclature is stamped in Black Ink in the skirt.

Answer 2: Is they never really changed back to the M1937 pattern, not at least the Enlisted version, as mentioned the Army vis a vis the Doolittle Board of 1946, desided to adopt the Officers type for all ranks in the Army.

Here's a photo from a 59th Coast Artillery album from 1938. The 60th Coast Artillery would have worn almost the same thing, except the metal insignia on the campaign hat. Note the clothing (no epaulettes on the shirt) and the belt:

Corregidor20.jpg

Corregidor22.jpg

And here's a period photo of the 92nd Coast Artillery (PS) (from philippine-scouts.org).

BatteryD_NCOs_small.jpg

This clothing is for garrison wear. Going into combat, they had additional equipment like the M1917A1 helmet. I'd have to dig up those photos. When I have done reenactments, I have been asked to wear the campaign hat instead of the helmet (which gets heavy after a while). But it's up to you.

Hope these help!