Barracks Bag, 4th Inf. Rgmt. Va. NG

everforward

world war I nerd

Kim,

Thanks for adding yet anither bag to the thread. Interesting that the dimensions are different from the other bags. There might be some other specifications for Barracks Bags that we don't know about yet.

This one measures 28" x 22". It's made of medium weight white canvas. There is a rope draw closure with two metal grommets. Not sure if it's a barracks bag or laundry bag. The writing appears to be faded paint. Not sure what the circled 11 is for.

post-124172-0-26574900-1474399368_thumb.jpgpost-124172-0-20680500-1474399369_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Nice clean example,Wedgehead.

I'm guessing, based on the dimensions that it's a Barracks Bag. I don't know this for a fact, but I think that the laundry bags were larger.

Just a guess ... the number "11" could be the soldier's roster number on the company roster sheet? Then again it could be some sort of code indicating where the bag was stored on a transport ship or an AEF warehouse.

Also, I didn't see a name on the bag, just a unit designation ... maybe it was bag no. 11 of F Company's baggage?

Also, I didn't see a name on the bag, just a unit designation ... maybe it was bag no. 11 of F Company's baggage?

It's hard to see but there was additional writing on the top inside. I'm guessing it was probably a name. Unfortunately it's it's so worn and faded that it's illegible now.

post-124172-0-91513400-1474426261_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Generally, individual soldier's names are quite prominent.

If not a name, I wonder if the faded writing on your bag might be a brief inventory of the bags "company" contents instead?

Here are a couple from my collection. The brown one is unmarked. The white is unit marked to the 159th Infantry.

Both of my bags are 30 inches long and 20 inches wide.

Well, we just found out something of great importance about this bag I picked up. The original owner of this bag was none other than Lt. Thomas Bulla, Chaplain, 4th Virginia Rgt. (later 3rd Bn, 116th IR), 29th Div AEF. You can see the name "LT. THOS BULLA" under the X's of the Stenciling. Bulla probably had this bag in his possession when the picture of him was taken on the Mexican Border, 1916... (see link below)

Bulla was KIA on 8 Oct.1918 in France...the only remaining WW2 Chapel in service (located at Ft. Pickett in Virginia) is named after him.

This link will explain more.

http://vko.va.ngb.army.mil/VirginiaGuard//news/may11/bullachapel.html