WWI US helmet. Combat use? 47?

Newdog98

US WWI Era helmet with 47 painted on front and two large dents on rim. It also has the remains of a cord on the helmet strap thing(cant remember name) post-158615-0-20281200-1473448385_thumb.jpgpost-158615-0-07455200-1473448415_thumb.jpgpost-158615-0-26862700-1473448446_thumb.jpgpost-158615-0-72351600-1473448469_thumb.jpg

That's a pretty cool helmet. There's probably no telling what the 47 means, but I have seen similar markings before.

Somewhere in my notes, I have a communiqué recommending using a cord to attach the helmet to the shoulder strap of the jacket, so the helmet would not be lost if when it fell off during combat.

That's a pretty cool helmet. There's probably no telling what the 47 means, but I have seen similar markings before.

Somewhere in my notes, I have a communiqué recommending using a cord to attach the helmet to the shoulder strap of the jacket, so the helmet would not be lost if when it fell off during combat.

Interesting seems to be a combat used helmet... from that evidence would you concur?

world war I nerd

I've seen a period photo of a Doughboy with a similar sized cord that looked as if it connected the helmet he was wearing to his right shoulder strap. At the time I surmised that it must have been some sort of a makeshift lanyard to prevent its loss in combat.

Very interesting to learn that doing so was actually officially sanctioned at some levels in the AEF.

AEF17, any chance of actually posting the text of that particular order, circular or memo?

Attached is a photo of a helmet with something tied around the base of its crown. I always thought that it was used to attach foliage (something I've never seen in photos), now I'm wondering if it was where the makeshift helmet lanyard was stored when not in use. Any thoughts?

I've also attached an image of a helmet with a bent rim in use.

Photos courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-78289100-1473470412.jpg

post-5143-0-82109800-1473470474.jpg

Interesting seems to be a combat used helmet... from that evidence would you concur?

It's hard to say for sure. What is the code stamped onto the underside of the brim, and is there a maker's mark with a date on the underside of the oilcloth part of the liner? That information will help to determine whether it was made early enough to have made it overseas before the end of hostilities.

I've seen a period photo of a Doughboy with a similar sized cord that looked as if it connected the helmet he was wearing to his right shoulder strap. At the time I surmised that it must have been some sort of a makeshift lanyard to prevent its loss in combat.

Very interesting to learn that doing so was actually officially sanctioned at some levels in the AEF.

AEF17, any chance of actually posting the text of that particular order, circular or memo?

post-270-0-14167700-1473474270_thumb.jpg

It's hard to say for sure. What is the code stamped onto the underside of the brim, and is there a maker's mark with a date on the underside of the oilcloth part of the liner? That information will help to determine whether it was made early enough to have made it overseas before the end of hostilities.

I does not appear from what ive been told to have a stamp on the oil cloth. The stamp on the helmet is YJ135

YJ135 is early enough to have made it overseas.

Thanks you very much! You will be the one I'll contact if I have anymore questions about American helmets!!

YJ135 is early enough to have made it overseas.

I have one final question...What do you believe this to be worth? It's esrly enough to make it in the war, dented, and has the remains of a cord