Militaria collectors in 1941

Adam R

Just came across this small ad in the August, 1941 issue of "Leatherneck" magazine. Apparently our forefathers were avid collectors as well. I wonder how much of their stock was true militaria and how much was made just for the collector market.

post-10651-0-92423100-1473352355_thumb.jpg

When I was a teen, the library used to to have a 1940 copy of the Bannerman catalog. That was soooo much fun to look through. It made me want to invent a time machine. Unfortunately, the only time traveling I've done is 40 years forward.

Mikie

My grandmother once told me that the biggest regret her step father had when he immigrated from Europe in 1912 was leaving behind his collection of medals from the time of the Napoleonic wars...sigh...

My grandmother once told me that the biggest regret her step father had when he immigrated from Europe in 1912 was leaving behind his collection of medals from the time of the Napoleonic wars...sigh...

:o Ouch!

When I was a teen, the library used to to have a 1940 copy of the Bannerman catalog. That was soooo much fun to look through. It made me want to invent a time machine. Unfortunately, the only time traveling I've done is 40 years forward.

Mikie

Thats called getting old. LoL!!

ASMIC started in 1937 as a club dedicated to insignia collectors. Early issues of the Trading Post listed various individuals who had insignia to trade or sell. The March Military Equipment company ad mentioned a catalog.... Anyone out there have a copy?

Issues of the Trading Post for the years 1937-1942 are available to members on the ASMIC web site. You can join ASMIC with a Digital Online membership for $25.00. A Digital membership gives you access to nearly every issue of the Trading Post and includes a searchable index. Not all issues are there yet but an ASMIC team is working on the project with the goal of having every issue indexed, scanned and posted to the web site.

http://www.asmic.org/join.aspx

the library used to to have a 1940 copy of the Bannerman catalog. That was soooo much fun to look through.

You should have seen the Bannerman catalogs from the WWI era. They were filled with tons of Civil War and Span Am War surplus. Everything from corps badges to cannons!

A quick Google search revealed that a couple of the March catalogs (1941 & 1943) are online;

https://archive.org/details/0011941MarchMilitaryAndAviationEquipmentCompany001

https://archive.org/details/1943MarchMilitaryPage001