WWI hat cord and collar device in picture

stratasfan

Hi, All! I have collected almost all the things I'd like for my WWI display, and only have a couple more things to find. I have a picture of my Mom's Gramma's Brother-In-Law in uniform and am attaching snips of it so you can see. I'd like a hat cord, wool Infantry PFC patch, and collar device.

This is his service info: 15 Co 4 Battalion 158 Depot Brigade to 21 Oct 1918; 4 Co Cp Meigs DC to 31 Dec 1918; 2 Co 2 Battalion 164 Depot Brigade to Discharge Private Honorable discharge 11 Jan 1919.

I am assuming that he is Infantry or QMC. It kind of looks to me like it is an infantry device. My question . . . where would be a good place to look for a hat cord and what should it run? I've never looked at hat cords, so this is new!

Also, while you are looking at the picture. What would the belt he is wearing look like? It looks like it has stuff hanging off of it to me.

Thanks for any help!

post-151812-0-21764300-1473262510_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-76382500-1473262521.jpg

The belt is the cartridge belt that holds the ammunition in stripper clips for his Model 11970s Enfield rifle.

The bayonet and case are on his left side.

He could or may have a canteen and cover on the belt as well on the back side.

Hi, All! I have collected almost all the things I'd like for my WWI display, and only have a couple more things to find. I have a picture of my Mom's Gramma's Brother-In-Law in uniform and am attaching snips of it so you can see. I'd like a hat cord, wool Infantry PFC patch, and collar device.

This is his service info: 15 Co 4 Battalion 158 Depot Brigade to 21 Oct 1918; 4 Co Cp Meigs DC to 31 Dec 1918; 2 Co 2 Battalion 164 Depot Brigade to Discharge Private Honorable discharge 11 Jan 1919.

I am assuming that he is Infantry or QMC. It kind of looks to me like it is an infantry device. My question . . . where would be a good place to look for a hat cord and what should it run? I've never looked at hat cords, so this is new!

Also, while you are looking at the picture. What would the belt he is wearing look like? It looks like it has stuff hanging off of it to me.

Thanks for any help!

Good day!

Your soldier is holding a model 1917 Enfield rifle, so, the belt he is wearing can either be the later Model 1910 belt with L-t-D fasteners or the Model 1917 belt. It kinda looks to me to be the latter.

His bayonet would be the Enfield Model 1917 with the green leather scabbard. I would bet the belt is also holding the Model 1910 first aid pouch and Model 1910 canteen on his rear.

You are correct; he does appear to wear an infantry collar device. So, to find a period correct blue wool cord, and the infantry PFC patch, I can recommend a few places you may try to source that. Ebay is always a good start. Greatwar Militaria has a few listed. Baystate Militaria has them from time to time as well. Prices always vary as does condition. Many hat cords are quite faded, so those with a stronger color will fetch a stronger price. I have paid ~$18 for a decent cord...

Hope this helps...

TR

Thanks for any help!

BTW, you may want to go so far as to add the Model 1910 haversack to complete the display...

Thanks for all the help! Honestly, this forum and the members are like jewels! Everyone always has so much information! I really appreciate it. So far I haven't gone to using clothing/gear items for displays, as I don't have room. However, I have to say . . . if I had unlimited funds and space, the large WWI item I would get would be one of those hats like he is wearing. Never seen one yet, but I love it in pictures! I got a torn apart WWI uniform jacket, so am going to actually use a piece of it for the back, instead of making a felt back. I have the button, the US collar device, a WWI Victory medal. That leaves the cord, patch and collar device.

I am having a blast looking up all the items and finding pictures! I'm putting together all the info about him so I can print it out with his picture. I appreciate everyone's input! The belt is amazing! I went to that other link and it looks so modern. I love how seeing some of these items just makes the people and the era (the history) so real. Very normal.

I really like the WWI wool PFC Chevrons patches (the little round ones), so am trying to figure out how to incorporate several into the display. I'm thinking to either ring the other items or have a matching frame with them. I got an old 1890s wooden frame (like the old charcoal portraits are often in) and would like to do the display in that, as it would be from the era. Also trying to decide how to include the picture, too. WWI had such "pretty" uniforms, in my own opinion.

I just found a picture of the bayonet and WOW! Very cool! I am always partial to bayonets. They look like mini-swords.

TrenchRat - Thanks for the help about the hat cords. I will start looking, as that is not bad at all. I looked on eBay, but was seeing $50+. They weren't selling for that, just listing for that. However, I wanted to get a ballpark before jumping in to the search!

Does anyone have any ideas why he has no rank displayed? No patches anywhere! Would these have been early pics, like right after he enlisted or something?

He is likely not wearing a rank patch as he probably did not earn it yet...or, the fact is, many were not worn at all.

In WWI, Divisional patches were not worn either. You only see them appear after the armistice.

Well, that is not technically true; there were about three divisions that did wear SSI "in the trenches" although I believe they were certainly not authorized...

TR

Check with Robb at the Colonels Cache.He is a member and should have what you need.He is easy to communicate with.He may not show it.Just ask.

Good Luck,

Bob

Robb is great to deal with.

Another option for the space consious collector is hats can be hung on the wall or placed up high on a wall braket or shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you have any luck finding the items to complete your project?

Bob

Sorry for not replying yesterday. I got a terrible cold and have been really just lying down for the last few days. Still suffering, but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! So far, I have not gotten the items yet. I've been doing some searching around, but so far haven't pin-pointed the stuff yet! I think I would like to get an Engineers hat cord, too, for another thing. Are they hard to find? I looked on eBay, and found two, but they looked different from each other, so I was unsure.

Also, one question about the WWI collar devices. I have a US device, and it came with an Engineers one too. The US is the typical dark look, but the Engineers is more gold coloured. Is that just a different finish? They came off a coat, so I assume they were used together. However, I don't know that.

post-151812-0-38510400-1474228494.jpg

Should be the same color,the one you have is probably post war. You really need to contact Robb as suggested earlier.He will have what you need and will guide you through it.No sense spending money on quesses.E-bay is great but not always the answer.

Bob

Thanks! You don't happen to have his website, by any chance? I'll do it as soon as I feel better and am back to the comp! I agree, eBayt is great, but only when you know what you need! ;) Sometimes that isn't me.