34th Division helmet-North Africa bringback

panzerbait

USMC-RECON0321

Excellent piece of preserved history for sure. Thanks for sharing.

While in the Marines and serving in the philippines (1989), we were allowed to modify our soft covers with sun flaps sewn on the back, but we could only wear them while in the field.

Not a big fan of this one unfortunately. I own three and this one sets off alarm bells. Looks put together to me.

And our museum has half a dozen. And this was donated by the veteran that wore it....it is impeccably provenanced.

• 3 years later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

111-SC-340925.jpg.b39d31c6879a471f524675af4317936b.jpg

Fifth Army, Castrellina Area, Italy. Close up head shot of a typical american of Japanese descent. Pfc. Genkichi Akamine, Honolulu, T.H., a sniper with the 100th Inf. Bn., 34th Division. He has 3 years of service in the U.S. Army, is a native of Hawaii, has fought thru the entire Italian campaign and just ended 16 days of hill fighting in the Battle of Leghorn. (Flap at back of helmet keeps rain and dampness out at night in foxhole)." Original Field Number: MM-5-44-7793. Photographer: Harris (163rd Signal Photo Company)

On 9/7/2016 at 12:42 PM, doyler said:

Great pic P B

Spoke with a few original 1st Bn Rangers and they spoke of wearing the sun shields too.

Darby’s Rangers.

Ronnie......Darby.

ArchangelDM

Interesting helmet, 

Those chinstraps and the wool neck flap sure are clean, where was this worn ?