2nd battalion 504 PIR found in Sicily

Husky1943

I have the right to say what i think right? I didnt say anything bad to him.

You have the right to say something if first, it helps the discussion and second, if you are not judging people. This whole issue started with you stating that knowledgeable collectors were hating because they were jealous of the OP's helmet. That was both ignorant and judgmental and will not be tolerated.

I know that you may have a snarky response for me at this point but, let me suggest that you just walk away.

You have the right to say something if first, it helps the discussion and second, if you are not judging people. This whole issue started with you stating that knowledgeable collectors were hating because they were jealous of the OP's helmet. That was both ignorant and judgmental and will not be tolerated.

I know that you may have a snarky response for me at this point but, let me suggest that you just walk away.

Here for you. To all people im sorry.

I dont really have a set in stone opinion on the paint job yet. But like another member already said earlier, why are the chinstraps missing? I have an untouched helmet found in the Ardennes, covered in dirt and even blood, they are still intact. I also owned another helmet discovered in Bastogne, also had the chinstraps intact. Both examples were left in a barn or attic for over 60 years. And the chin straps were still existent as well as most webbing in the liner. And judging by how the paint looks on this helmet, it would have most likely had chinstraps if it was legit.

The fact the chinstraps are missing is not an immediate red flag for me. The 504th spent some time hard fighting in Italy and it's one theatre where cutting the chinstraps off was quite common practice.

I recently saw some archive footage of assault troops boarding landing craft in Plymouth in the UK and almost to a man the leather helmet liner chinstrap was missing. Not quite the same I know but things like this did happen.

There are helmets in the DeTrez paratrooper helmet book that look far more suspect than this one. I think it has a chance.

Rich

I can't really say whether it's a good or bad set, but the fact that you oiled it ruined it for a lot of collectors

Best to leave things untouched most of the time

Clean old patina with oil and you will kill all signs of authenticity on an original helmet. If the pics of the helmet with very matt, lusterless paint depict what the helmet looked before cleaning, then it is a good one.

Not a criminal, but firearms Jesus himself: Ian Mccollum of forgotten weapons dot com.

Hi Ronny,

I haven`t recognized him. The first picture you sent looks like an inmate of pelican bay prison explains how he killed his own mum.

But of course I know him!! And I like his videos he has taped for RIA (Rock Island Auctions). This is just a fine guy! He has a very cool way to explain how the development of a certain gun took place ... . I enjoy his videos a lot.

he has done a cool video showing the development of the Colt M1911:

So sorry for that. It`s just faking helmets pisses me off!

Look at this crap - was sold today for almost 400 dollars on german ebay:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-2-WK-Stahlhelm-US-Army-USA-Amerika-/122123018499?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=WbE3uWaABsw4M8Ynd1sHWwmxM50%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The helmet is rotten on the surface and almost no color left but miraculously the insignia survived.

Have a nice day

Martin

If the pics of the helmet with very matt, lusterless paint depict what the helmet looked before cleaning, then it is a good one.

That's probably the most naive thing I've ever heard. Lol.

if it helps any ive got a 504th pot and the long strap is not present and the short strap is only holding on by a few threads, so anything is possible.

• 6 years later...

It's funny with the relative rarity of such painted M-1s, there must be thousands of plain Jane M-1s "found in France" at these flee markets every month. How it always a paratrooper, medic, etc?

5 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

It's funny with the relative rarity of such painted M-1s, there must be thousands of plain Jane M-1s "found in France" at these flee markets every month. How it always a paratrooper, medic, etc?

Nobody shows pictures or brags about the plain janes.

I find lots of plain WW2 helmets that I don’t post.

Some come out of a basement, a garage, shed, from under the stairs or out of a closet.

Interesting thread and I dare say it illustrates why the M1 helmet threads are the most fascinating of the forum. I have been to quite few flea markets in Western Europe as late as 10-15 years ago (France, Netherlands, Belgium etc) and I will say American material rarely comes out especially from WW2. German helmets are quite common especially dug. I would say that a great piece (if still found) rarely hits the table or ground at a show or Fleamarket in Europe just like here in the States. I have found European collectors of U.S. material are almost more fanatical than their American counterpart and many have long established relationships with the regular vendors at flea markets. The days of "oh I found this in a shed or it was found among stacks of Bocce balls at the Paris Flea market" have long since passed. 

On 10/26/2022 at 11:40 PM, ispy said:

This post is not only interesting but it's a post of 'the damned'.....so many banned members! 

And interestingly enough, all but one were banned after they were also discovered to be "helmet fakers". The other one was banned simply because he could never play nice on the forum after multiple warnings.

2 hours ago, Bugme said:

And interestingly enough, all but one were banned after they were also discovered to be "helmet fakers". The other one was banned simply because he could never play nice on the forum after multiple warnings.

Helmet fakers you say......wow!

One of them ripped me off too by not sending what I paid for through the market on this forum.....but it was and is an interesting read nonetheless......one I won't forget as I learned a lot.

This is my take-away from this thread.  If fakes have become so pervasive, and the experts often times can’t distinguish between an authentically painted helmet and a fake, then why take the risk.  I greatly respect the expertise of those folks who have spent decades acquiring the experience to properly evaluate these helmets, but I do not fall in that category, unfortunately.