2nd battalion 504 PIR found in Sicily

Husky1943

post-163100-0-41618900-1473206491_thumb.jpgHello everyone, two months ago at a flea market I found an American M1 helmet. After some research I found to be an American paratrooper helmet from the 2nd Battalion 504th PIR. I know this frieze could be white, red or blue. Some of you know this variant?

Husky, we miss important details to offer opinion here: detail photos of the chinstrap loops areas (even if the loops are gone from the shell) as well as of the steel lot code if visible.

cheers

The guilt of the gloss paint is of ' oil which I used to clean the helmet . In addition, the flash of the camera plays tricks . These are photos apoens rutrovato cpn clean water only. The helmet is from an old brothel pet years . About me sold it does not have the most psllida idea what it was ! For a few Euros !

post-163100-0-78802000-1473353340_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Now the main question becomes: why would a "normal" - albeit early production - M1 helmet be painted like it was used by the 2/504th in Sicily (as opposed to an M2 helmet)? The chances for this to happen in that unit at that time are extremely slim. Not 100% impossible for many reasons, but extremely unlikely. That for me puts the most important doubt on its originality.

That said, I cannot go so far as to rule out its originality though, as in my opinion at least the paint doesn't look so bad. Of course it's always difficult to judge from photos, but at least it's not obviously faked.

cheers

Thanks for the photos. Now the main question becomes: why would a "normal" - albeit early production - M1 helmet be painted like it was used by the 2/504th in Sicily (as opposed to an M2 helmet)? The chances for this to happen in that unit at that time are extremely slim. Not 100% impossible for many reasons, but extremely unlikely. That for me puts the most important doubt on its originality.

This guy and his "Normal" fixed bail would like a word with you on your assumption

post-22057-0-25948800-1473354766_thumb.jpg

That said, I cannot go so far as to rule out its originality though, as in my opinion at least the paint doesn't look so bad. Of course it's always difficult to judge from photos, but at least it's not obviously faked.

cheers

Kilroy: Standard M1 shells were used by the 2/504th, as well as every single parachute unit that fought in WWII. The first Airborne guys in 1942 had M1 shells with M2s, and so did the guys jumping in Varsity in 1945.

As to this helmet's authenticity I remain officially "sketched" until further notice.

post-153625-0-39643900-1473354774.jpg

You are not wrong on the M2 , but probably do not know that in Sicily were dustribuiti many m1 paratroopers and even regular infantry liner . The thing is not my affernazione but reported on many textbooks and in many photographs. Here is one of these :

post-163100-0-87754300-1473355256_thumb.jpg

Burning Hazard

Husky,

I think a lot of forum members may be hesitant to post on this helmet mostly due to the fact that some of the most well fake airborne helmets have been coming out of Italy in the past few years and they are getting harder and harder to spot every year. I'm not questioning your helmet, I just know forum member will reads "found in Italy" or "found in a barn" and quickly move one without reading the topic or looking at pictures.

I hope one of the guys can ID the helmet to see whether it's original or not.