A.E.F. Gloves, Gauntlets & Mittens 1917 to 1919

world war I nerd

13 hours ago, dg12345 said:

I also have a pair of #112 picture #1 & 2.  Same condition.  What would they be worth?

I still have both pair of these mittens and haven't as yet tried to sell them.  If I was trying to sell, I'd do an extensive web search to determine what the market is for them first, and then come up with a price and location where they would have the best exposure to the market. I don't really know if there are rare or not, but they aren't common either, especially in new, unissued condition.  Are your's both marked by the same manufacturers?  Would be interested in seeing them.  Thanks,

Steve

These deadstock gloves aren't worth much as they only saw limited use in the AEF.  I'd say $65-75 on a good day. 

• 2 weeks later...
Alaskaspiritcrafts
On 10/14/2016 at 1:59 PM, GWS said:

Another outstanding, encyclopedic post Brian, Thank you sir!

I have what I think are 2 pairs of Siberian/N.Russia mittens, one pair with the beautiful fur covered exterior very similar to what have already documented here. They are ink-stamped on the thumb leather: Insp. No.5, QMC Seattle,General Dept. The other pair is quite different, the exterior is all leather(supposed to be horsehide) and has a light colored knit lining in the palm and finger area with the gauntlet being unlined. Both pairs appear unissued. I have no reference for these but put them on here for comment or additional information. Thanks again for your efforts to enlighten us.

post-2137-0-54704400-1476474818.jpg

post-2137-0-84548300-1476474830.jpg

post-2137-0-28679200-1476474841.jpg

post-2137-0-19685700-1476474850.jpg

post-2137-0-90806800-1476474875.jpg

post-2137-0-89073800-1476474886.jpg

Have you found out anything else on these? We have a discussion ensuing on Facebook about what type of fur it is. Several furriers, including myself, believe it to be American Opossum. 

Alaskaspiritcrafts
On 10/14/2016 at 9:01 PM, world war I nerd said:

GWS, Thanks for adding your mittens to the thread ... hopefully your additions will encourage others to do likewise.

The russet colored leather mittens appear to be 1918 Leather Mittens. Despite the fact that they were not actually adopted until April of 1918, I've seen several other pairs with 1917 contract dates. I don't think that this indicates that the mittens were actually made in 1917. I'm pretty sure that rather than accepting bids for an urgently needed piece of clothing or equipment, existing government contract from diverted from a garment that was not deemed critical to to another that was urgently required.

I've noticed other WW I garments that had contract labels (or stamps) which pre-dated the date on which the article was adopted by the Army. To me, this suggests that altering or diverting contracts for Army clothing was a practice that was commonly employed during the war.

I'm still in the process of trying to piece together exactly what clothing was procured for the American forces that were dispatched to Siberia & North Russia. However, the fur covered mittens you posted compare favorably to other examples seen in period photographs. The west coast inspector stamp is also a plus as all of the troops & equipment shipped to Russia passed through depots like San Francisco & Seattle located on the west rather than the east coast.

Have you done any more research on the fur used? 

13 hours ago, Alaskaspiritcrafts said:

Have you done any more research on the fur used? 

I have not seen anything from World War one Nerd (Brian) for about 2 years now. I hope he is still with us!  The only other reference I've found is from America's Munitions by Benedict Crowell, who states on page 462 that " An agent from the division of New York at once bought on the New York market large quantities of muskrat, wolf and marmot fur. Other agents were sent into our own Northwest and to Canada to pickup such suitable garments as these markets afforded. ...... The result was that whenever the articles specified could not be procured on time, suitable substitutes were provided."

So, not much help there as to identifying a specific type of fur used on a specific garment.  I know the fur backed mittens I have came from the Pacific  northwest as there is a faint ink stamp on the leather thumb area of one mitten.  I would have to dig them out of deep storage to provide a state name or company however. Thanks.

Steve

Alaskaspiritcrafts
6 minutes ago, GWS said:

I have not seen anything from World War one Nerd (Brian) for about 2 years now. I hope he is still with us!  The only other reference I've found is from America's Munitions by Benedict Crowell, who states on page 462 that " An agent from the division of New York at once bought on the New York market large quantities of muskrat, wolf and marmot fur. Other agents were sent into our own Northwest and to Canada to pickup such suitable garments as these markets afforded. ...... The result was that whenever the articles specified could not be procured on time, suitable substitutes were provided."

So, not much help there as to identifying a specific type of fur used on a specific garment.  I know the fur backed mittens I have came from the Pacific  northwest as there is a faint ink stamp on the leather thumb area of one mitten.  I would have to dig them out of deep storage to provide a state name or company however. Thanks.

Steve

Interesting. No need to dig them out, ot wouldn't help with fur ID. Unless they dyed the fur, this is definitely not wolf or muskrat.  It looks like American Opossum to me and several other fur folks.  For reference on why we think this, I'm attaching a pic of some possum mittens I made, and some possum pelts. Let me know what you think!

FB_IMG_1705802163091.jpg

InCollage_20240120_171801063.jpg

Wow, those look great! I would never have thought of using possum for the mitts,  Mine are more the color of the two on the lower left.  Most of the possums I see around hear are white with a bit of grey on their back. The ones out there just have more color in their fur.  Thanks for showing these, makes more sense too that there are a lot more possum around than wolves or marmot!                        

Steve