A.E.F. Gloves, Gauntlets & Mittens 1917 to 1919

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Photo No. 51: A closer view of the un-ribbed cuff showing the turned under and sewn seam which encompassed the late war glove’s cuff.

Photos courtesy of the Rogier van de Hoef collection

post-5143-0-88954700-1473155690_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Despite being made from an inferior grade of wool, the new ambidextrous feature of the glove, somewhat extended its life, as it allowed a glove whose palm showed signs of wear to be flipped over and worn on the opposite hand.

Like most of the other gloves and mittens that were developed during the war, the Quartermaster Corps specifications for this glove are, once again, noticeably absent. However, a brief description along with the sizes in which the ambidextrous glove was available appeared in the already much quoted 1918 document compiled on the serviceability of the clothing that was worn by the AEF during 1917:

A seamed* woolen glove was adopted in June 1918, for issue to our troops. This glove was to be made of a yarn consisting of new-scoured fleece or pulled wool, not lower than one-quarter blood grade, free from all substitutes and impurities, and cotton not exceeding 5 per cent. It was issued in three sized as follows: No. 9 - 12 inches in length from the tip of the middle finger to the top of the cuff; No. 10 - 12 ¾ inches; No. 11 - 13 inches.

The United States Medical Department in the World War, Vol. VI, Sanitation, 1926, page 640

*Unless the 1918 Olive Drab Woolen Glove was produced in both a sewn and woven version, or the words “A seamed woolen glove” was merely a reference to the “seamed” or hemmed cuff, the AEF clothing report penned in 1918 would seem to be inaccurate on this point. If anyone can produce a sewn or “seamed” 1918 Olive Drab Woolen Glove, please post photographs of it to this topic.

Photo No. 52: The turned and sewn cuff seam is just barely discernible around the edge of the turned down cuff on this pair of 1918 Olive Drab Woolen Gloves. It also looks as if a seam is present around its outer edge. This would indicate that the glove was sewn from two hand shaped pieces of woolen fabric. It’s also possible that the glove worn by this soldier was the final pattern Olive Drab Woolen Glove that was issued to the AEF late during the fall of 1918.

Photos courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-05884300-1473155837_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

The post-war book titled, America’s Munitions 1917-1919, which mentioned nothing about this glove being sewn, seamed, knit or woven, had only the following to say about the olive drab woolen glove that was introduced in mid-1918:

In the effort to produce gloves which would give longer wear the so-called ambidextrous glove was designed so that it could be worn comfortably on either hand.

America’s Munitions 1917-1919, Benedict Crowell, 1919, page 465

1918 Olive Drab Woolen Glove in Service

To date, no information regarding the 1918 Olive Drab Woolen Glove’s serviceability have been found. Presumably, the glove was deemed, at the very least, to be adequate, as its basic design remained unchanged for the duration of the war. The material, from which it was made however, was changed shortly before hostilities ceased in November of 1918. It’s also possible that the last woolen glove specification of the war was sewn from a top and bottom piece of woolen cloth, thus making it the “seamed” glove mentioned earlier. This however, has yet to be documented.

Replacement A.E.F. Gloves - Autumn 1918

By the fall of 1918, America’s Armed Forces had grown in size to nearly 5 million men and women, 2 million of whom served overseas in the AEF. Huge amounts of wool were required to manufacture all of the outer clothing required, not only by the AEF, but also by the U.S. Army, the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Marine Corps.

There was also a tremendous demand for wool to be made into stockings, underwear, hospital clothing, and blankets. In addition, changes were made to the specifications of the various woolen fabrics that were needed to manufacture nearly every article of Army service dress. For example, the weight of uniform cloth was increased from 16 to 20 ounces in weight, shirting flannel from 8 ½ to 9 ½ ounces, overcoats from 30 to 32 ounces, blankets from 3 to 4 pounds, and so on.

The growing shortage of raw wool combined with the increased weight of the fabrics and the growing number of garments required made it necessary for the Quartermaster Corps to use lower grades of wool, some of such poor quality that they had previously only been used to manufacture carpets. The result was that many late-war articles of regulation Army clothing were rough in texture and uneven in color. One such article was the second pattern, 1918 Olive Drab Woolen Glove which was made from an even lower grade of woolen fabric than its predecessor.

1918 Olive Drab Woolen Glove

(Sewn/Seamed?)

Specification No. 1389, adopted on November 1, 1918

In service from

November 1918 to 1919 or until supplies were exhausted

The second pattern 1918 Olive Drab Woolen Glove was identical to the first pattern ambidextrous glove, except for the fact that it was made from an even poorer quality of woolen fabric. If this glove was indeed “sewn” or “seamed” during the fabrication process, then that too would be a point of difference between the two late war gloves. At this point, however, there is no information explaining whether this glove, or its predecessor was sewn or not sewn. What little information we do have concerning the second pattern ambidextrous glove, once again, was found in the aforementioned AEF clothing report:

In November 1918, a change of the quality of the wool of this glove was made. It now consisted of a two-ply woolen yarn composed of 50 per cent one-half blood wool, the remainders being noils*, garneted** worsted thread waste, and not over 10 per cent by product*** (card and thread waste).

The United States Medical Department in the World War, Vol. VI, Sanitation, 1926, page 640

*In the weaving trade, a “Noil” is a virgin wool fiber or the short fibers left over after combing. Short woolen fibers are generally considered to be inferior to the longer “combed” fibers and weaker in strength.

**”Garnnetted” was a type of yarn that contained recycled wool. Garnet is the process of shredding a woven wool article back into a fibrous state so that it could be manufactured or recycled into a new garment or product.

*** “By Product” was the wool waste collected from the loom, the floor and elsewhere during the carding, twisting, spinning, and weaving process.

Photo No. 53: All of these Doughboys are wearing one of the four types of olive drab regulation gloves that were issued between 1917 and 1919. The odds suggest that the most are likely wearing the 1918 Olive Drab Jersey Knit Glove or the 1918 Oliver Drab Woolen (woven or seamed) Glove, which were issued in the summer of 1918 and in the late fall of 1918. Unfortunately, the level of detail visible in these photographs is not sufficient to determine which pattern of glove is actually worn by each of these AEF soldiers.

post-5143-0-94562400-1473156034_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 54: Close ups of the four pairs of olive drab hand coverings worn in the above photo montage.

post-5143-0-64945800-1473156087_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 55: Here three of the four specifications of olive drab gloves that were issued to American Doughboys during the war are compared side by side. From left to right: the “seamless”, 1916 Olive Drab Woolen Glove, the “sewn” cotton, 1918 Jersey Knit Glove, and the smooth un-seamed version of the “ambidextrous”, 1918 Olive Drab Woolen Glove. Note the ribbed cuff on the early seamless glove, the knit tubing cuff on the sewn glove, and the turned edge on the ambidextrous glove. The overall length of the three gloves was 13 inches, 15 inches, and 13 inches respectively.

Left hand photo courtesy of Advance Guard Militaria.com

Center photo courtesy of the Dr. Rambow collection

Right hand photo courtesy of the Rogier van de Hoef collection

post-5143-0-53681000-1473156141_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Commercially Made Hand Coverings

It has been mentioned in my previous posts that outfitting American soldiers with private purchase articles of clothing and non-regulation equipment of all types during the Great War was big business. Among the commercially made articles offered to America’s military men were sturdy leather work gloves, warm woolen mittens, practical driving gloves, and a host of casual leather, and dress gloves. The various non-regulation woolen and leather gloves could frequently be seen on the hands of officers and enlisted men of the AEF as they went about their duties. The more fashionable gloves however, were generally reserved for wear when they were out of the lines and permitted to leave camp to sample a sip or maybe two sips of the local vin rouge and vin blanc, which AEF regulations only allowed between the hours of 5pm and 9pm.

In order to dispel the notion that was held by the British and French general staffs that the AEF was composed largely of uniformed civilians masquerading as soldiers, General Pershing insisted that, when out of the line, enlisted men observe all military courtesies, and that their clothing and appearance be immaculate. If the AEF’s Commander in Chief had witnessed the following event described by Colonel George C. Marshal, then the 1st Infantry Division’s operations officer, he likely would have been apoplectic:

One backwoodsman was standing sentry duty with his blouse unbuttoned when a senior, meticulously turned out French officer asked him a question about his rifle. The soldier handed the bemused officer his weapon and sat down to roll a cigarette. Among French veterans, such incidents created a lasting impression of Americans as energetic, but bumbling amateurs.

Colonel George C. Marshal, HQ Detachment, 1st Infantry Division, AEF

It may have been beyond the powers of General Pershing to teach proper military decorum to each and every soldier who had volunteered or was conscripted into the AEF, but he could, at the very least, order them to look, if not act like soldiers. Therefore, orders were generated which mandated that before going on leave each enlisted man was to be personally inspected by his commanding officer to ensure that:

• His attire was complete and appropriate
  • His service dress was pressed or at least well brushed
  • His shoes were mud free and polished
  • His countenance was smoothly shaved and hair well groomed

Only after passing such an inspection would the enlisted men of the AEF be unleashed on the unsuspecting populace of Paris, Nantes and Bordeaux. When Doughboys were away from the camps and front line trenches, it was not unusual for them to be seen sporting non-regulation hand coverings.

Photo No. 56: Three examples of non-regulation leather gloves as worn by Doughboys – one casual (center) and two dress (left & right).

post-5143-0-04081000-1473156243_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 57: A closer look at the casual and dress gloves worn by the men in the above photograph. It’s impossible to know with any degree of certainty, but the center soldier just might be wearing a pair of regulation 1913 Riding Gloves.

Photos courtesy of the John Adam Graf collection

post-5143-0-90437400-1473156289_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 58: This soldier’s leather work or driving gloves closely resemble the issued 1918 Heavy Leather Glove. Because the ornamental welts on the back of this particular pair of gloves is slightly different, I’ve placed this photo here rather than in the section devoted to the 1918 Heavy Leather Glove. This however, does not rule out the fact that the dissimilar welts on the gloves in this photo may have just been one of the minor nuances that appeared on the garments made by the various contractors who manufactured AEF hand coverings and clothing.

post-5143-0-60977100-1473156351_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 59: Three pairs of non-regulation leather gloves that once belonged to American Doughboys. The gloves on the right were found in the barracks bag of a 90th Division Doughboy. The center glove is one half or a pair that were amongst the belongings of an Air Service pilot instructor who served in the United States. The third pair of knit lined driving gloves was included in the effects of a corporal in Motor Car Company No. 308 of the AEF’s, Motor Transport Corps.

Photos courtesy of Advance Guard Militaria.com

post-5143-0-40256000-1473156405_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 60: An unknown type of leather-canvas-(?) work gloves with knit cuffs, which were probably commercially made, are worn by this member of the 20th Engineer Regiment (forestry).

post-5143-0-49897900-1473156458_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Possible A.E.F. Regulation Hand Coverings

When researching the clothing worn by the AEF, it always gives me pause when identical pattern hand coverings are worn in separate period photographs or when identical styles of hand coverings turn up in separate AEF groupings that once were the property of soldiers who served in the AEF. I can’t help but wonder, were these identical gloves or mittens commercially made and coincidentally purchased and used by two or more American soldiers? Or were they regulation hand coverings that were issued for a specific purpose by the U.S. Army or by the AEF that have yet to be identified? The following three “coincidences” look very much as if they might have been issued by the U.S. Government. Then again, they may also turn out to be high quality commercially made garments that incorporated military styling and hardware.

If anyone can positively identify any of the following hand coverings as “issued”, please post whatever information you have here or send it to me via the forum’s personal message system and I will post it for you.

Olive Drab Woolen Mitten

Photo No. 61: At first glance it looks as if this AEF artilleryman is wearing olive drab gloves. However, if you take a close look at his left hand you will see that what he is wearing are in fact, olive drab one finger woolen mittens. Were they regulation issue or home knit or commercially made? Thus far there has been no discovery of a Quartermaster Corps specification for an olive drab woolen mitten. However, I do suspect there is much in regard to AEF clothing that remains undiscovered.

post-5143-0-59570700-1473156532_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 62: At left is an image of either an unissued regulation or unworn commercially made pair of olive drab woolen mittens that were boxed up with a pair of 1918 Leather Mittens that had seen some use. Were the two articles issued as a pair by the U.S. Government or were they paired up separately by the soldier who once possessed them? At right are three period images of woolen mittens as worn By U.S. servicemen during the Great War.

Left hand photo courtesy of Great War Militaria.com

Center-right photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-89205500-1473156590_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Short-Gauntleted Leather Work Glove

Photo No. 63: This trio of AEF Doughboys are all wearing a similar pair of heavy duty, short-gauntleted, leather work gloves that look as if they could have been provided by Uncle Sam or at the very least purchased by him from the French or British governments. These men also could just as easily have worn those gloves in civil life prior to their service in the AEF and brought them to France. Or they could have purchased them prior to embarking for France or shortly after they had landed in a unknown and curious country whose inhabitants ate frogs, drank wine as if it were water, and did not speak “American’.

post-5143-0-58825400-1473156640_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 64: Closer views of the three similar heavy leather work gloves. The AEF manual titled, Equipment for Service in Europe, Series A- No. 1: Infantry Regiment, dated May 1918 stated that 520 pairs of “Wiring Gloves” made up part of an infantry regiments “Trench Equipment”. Could this leather glove be the aforementioned Wiring Glove?

post-5143-0-44469400-1473156694_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

One Finger Leather Mitten

Photo No. 65: Given the military style adjustment buckle on the wrist straps of these two pairs of WW I era single finger, leather mittens, they certainly look as if they could have been government issued. But were they? The left hand pair showed up here on the forum as part as a Doughboy grouping. The right hand pair was recently offered for sale by Advance Guard Militaria. They were described as “WW I Trigger Finger Leather Mittens”, with “1918 dated friction buckle at the wrist”. Thus far, no period photographs depicting Doughboys wearing what can be positively identified as this style of mitten have surfaced.

Right hand photo courtesy of Advance Guard Militaria.com

post-5143-0-47479900-1473156750_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 66: This image depicts a crew member of a Coast Artillery Corps 8 inch howitzer. It was taken in the Verdun Sector in September of 1918. Because the details of this soldier’s leather mitten are indistinct, it’s difficult to establish whether or not if they are a pair of 1918 Leather Mittens or a pair of one finger leather mittens similar to those in the previous photo.

Photos courtesy of Great War images.com

post-5143-0-29046600-1473156798_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 67: One of the one finger leather mittens depicted in the right half of Photo No. 65 are here compared to the leather mitten worn by the above Coast Artilleryman. The side by side comparison reveals that the two leather mittens are indeed remarkably similar.

Right & left photos courtesy of the Trenchrat collection

Center image courtesy of Great War Images.com

post-5143-0-55634800-1473156894_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

American & Foreign Made

Special Purpose Gloves & Gauntlets

Prescribed for Use by the A.E.F

In addition to the above mentioned regulation woolen, canvas and leather gloves and gauntlets, the AEF also utilized specialty gloves and gauntlets that were developed in the United States. The AEF also purchased specialty gloves which had been developed specifically for aviators by the French and British Armies.* In addition, the AEF obtained French made mittens which were issued only to machine gunners, as well as a gas-proof gauntlet that was devised to protect the hands of French soldiers who had to remain active during a gas attack from the effects of poisonous gas.

*As previously mentioned, in an effort to instill some measure of brevity to this topic, all foreign made flight gloves worn by AEF aviators have not been included.

1904 & 1917 Fencing Gloves

No Specification number, adopted in October 1904 and December of 1917

The Fencing Glove was devised in 1904 by the Ordnance Department to protect a soldier’s hand and forearm from injury during saber or bayonet drill. The glove was donned along with other protective garments when practicing mock close quarters combat using either the cavalryman’s wooden training saber or the infantryman’s training rifle and wooden bayonet.

Photo No. 68: In a training scrum such as this, it’s easy to see why the fencing/bayonet equipment was necessary to protect both seasoned soldiers and raw recruits from injuries inflicted by the blunt-tipped wooden training weapons. The inset shows a 1918 dated manufacturer’s stamp on a 1917 Fencing Glove. The stamp was located on the palm side of the glove just below the wrist.

post-5143-0-74395500-1473156962_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

The complete set of equipment consisted of a padded fencing helmet, which protected the head, face and neck; a padded fencing jacket, which protected the torso and upper arms, either a single glove or a pair of gloved gauntlets, which protected the lower arms and hands, and the wooden training saber for mounted troops or the wooden training rifle for the infantry. According to the 1917 Ordnance Stores manual, the cavalrymen’s fencing training equipment included only the right hand glove. However, the same manual specified that both a right and left hand glove were required to make the infantrymen’s bayonet training equipment complete.

Photo No. 69: Ordnance Department blueprints showing how the 1904 Fencing Glove (top) differed from the later 1917 model (bottom).

Photos courtesy of the Jon Prostak collection

post-5143-0-94704800-1473157020_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

The first pattern 1904 Fencing Glove was comprised of a horsehide glove that was padded with curled hair. The glove’s gauntlet was constructed from russet leather with an inner pad made from gray felt. The glove and the gauntlet were joined by means of a flexible wrist piece that was fabricated from horsehide.

The second pattern, or 1917 Fencing Glove, consisted of a similar horsehide glove, which had also been stuffed with curled hair. The felt padded gauntlet however, was now made from a hard fiber board that was dark gray in color and waterproofed with shellac. The glove and gauntlet were riveted to a flexible horsehide wrist piece. The only marking known to have been on the 1917 Fencing Glove was the Ordnance Department’s flaming bomb logo, the manufacturer’s name, and the contract date. It is not known if the 1904 Fencing Glove was similarly marked.

Photo No. 70: Front and back of a 1917 Fencing Glove. Note the manufacturer’s stamp at the center of the wrist just below the point where the glove is joined to the gauntlet in the lower photo.

Photos courtesy of Advance Guard Militaria.com

post-5143-0-43955300-1473157084_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

During the Great War the protective fencing garments were never an article of issue in the AEF. Both the 1904 and 1917 Fencing Gloves were however, worn during basic training when the men were engaged in either saber or bayonet drill. Presumably the 1904 Fencing Glove remained in use for some time after the 1917 Fencing Glove became available in early 1918.

1908 Winter Gauntlet

Specification No. 972, adopted on June 29, 1908

In service from 1917 presumably to December 1918

The 1908 Winter Gauntlet was adopted by the U.S. Army to be worn over the 1906 White Woolen Glove in extreme winter weather. According to Table 6: Total Mobile Equipment for Organizations of an Infantry Regiment, in the AEF’s, May 1918 dated, Equipment Manuals for Service in Europe, three pairs of “Gauntlets, Winter” were prescribed for the headquarters company of each infantry regiment. The Winter Gauntlets, along with three of each of the following articles: Rubber Boots, Hip – Breeches, Oilskin – Coats, Oilskin - Gloves, Horsehide, Yellow – Goggles – Helmets, Woolen or Toque – Mackinaw or Jerkin – Overshoes, Arctic and Socks, Extra Heavy, Wool were to be issued to the Regimental HQ Company’s solitary chauffeur and its two motorcyclists.

Unless the designation “Gauntlets, Winter” was a nom de guerre for the 1918 Leather Mittens or some other AEF hand covering, it would seem logical that it was a reference to the Army’s earlier 1908 Winter Gauntlet. The Winter Gauntlet as described in the Quartermaster Department’s specifications for that garment was remarkably similar, in respect to material and construction, to that of the Leather Mitten adopted for the AEF in April of 1918.

The 1908 specifications stated that the Winter Gauntlets were made from tan horsehide leather. The gauntlet’s cuff was also fabricated out of tan horsehide, interlined with split leather, and lined on the inner side with smooth finished russet sheepskin. Each cuff was approximately 5 ½ inches in length. The top edge of the cuff was bound with matching horsehide that was of a lighter weight. The glove of the Winter Gauntlet was lined with an unspecified color of “all wool knit lining”. Each of the gauntlet’s components was stitched together with white cotton thread.

The 1908 Winter Gauntlet was issued in three sizes – Nos. 9,10 and 11, whose overall length from the tip of the middle finger to the edge of the cuff were 13 ¼ inches, 13 ½ inches, and 14 inches respectively. Each glove also had its size “plainly marked” on the inner side of the cuff.

Photo No. 71: Either 1908 Winter Gauntlets or 1918 Leather Mittens are worn by the U.S. Army motorcyclist (left) and the 3rd Army dispatch rider (right). Note the spare inner tube wrapped around the handlebars of the right hand motorcycle.

Photos courtesy of the John Adam Graf collection

post-5143-0-76579700-1473157171_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 72: Aviator style gloves, gauntlets and mittens frequently found their way onto the hands of AEF troops who were technically not authorized to wear them. This was especially so in the case of motorcyclists. Here one of the countless styles of aviator gloves used during the Great War is worn by an AEF dispatch rider.

post-5143-0-01403300-1473157220_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

1917 Aviator’s Glove, Winter & Summer

Specification No. & adoption dates unknown

In service from

1917 until supplies were exhausted

Prior to 1917, the War Department, the U.S. Army, the Quartermaster Corps, and even the Aeronautical Section of the Signal Corps, paid scant attention to the special clothing needs of America’s military aviators. For the most part, the commissioned Army officers who were rated as “Military Aviators” purchased their own flight clothing from various commercial sources largely based upon each pilot’s particular needs and preferences. Thus there was very little uniformity in respect to the flight clothing that was worn by American aviators when America finally entered into the European War.* Initially, the first attempt at regulating the clothing worn by aviators of the Signal Corps was undertaken by the combined efforts of the Council of National Defense and the Quartermaster Corps. However, by mid-1918, it became all to clear that in regard to the design of specialized aviation clothing, the two organizations were out of their depth. Therefore, the matter of flight clothing was turned over to the Bureau of Aircraft Production in May of 1918.

*At the time America entered what was called the Great War, the Aeronautical Section of the Signal Corps had a total of twenty-six qualified military aviators. This was presumably the reason why senior officers from the War Department all the way down to the junior officers at the Purchasing and Storage Department of the Signal Corps Equipment Division largely ignored the need to develop and adopt specialized aviator’s clothing.

Nevertheless, according to paragraph number ‘6’ on page seven, and to section ‘M’ of paragraph number 85, found on page thirty-three of the Regulations for the Uniform of the United States Army, Special Regulations No. 41, dated August 1917, military aviators were authorized to wear the following gloves:

6. Aviation.- Special articles of clothing for aviation purposes are provided and authorized as indicated hereafter. They are in addition to the usual articles of clothing for garrison and field service.**

(m) Aviators. – While engaged in flying aviators will wear gloves prescribed; fur-lined mittens with gauntlet tops will be worn in cold weather, and the plain buckskin or leather gauntlets in warm weather.

Specification of the Uniform of the United States Army, Special Regulations No. 41, August 1917, page 34

Presumably the above mentioned “fur-lined mittens with gauntlet tops” and “plain buckskin or leather gauntlets” were references to the 1917 Winter and Summer Aviator’s Gloves, whose adoption dates remain a mystery. They did however; first appear in the Regulations for the Uniform of the United States Army, Special Regulations No. 42, dated August 1917. Therefore, they were likely adopted sometime between mid-1916 and mid-1917. But, that assertion still needs to be verified.

**Other “special articles of clothing mentioned in the 1917 Uniform Regulations that were adopted by the Quartermaster Corps for “aviation purposes” included a: Leather Coat, Anti-Sinking Coat, Chamois Face Mask, Gabardine Flying Suit, Goggles, Woolen Muffler, Woolen Sweater, Winter and Summer Soft Leather Helmets, and Soft Russet-Leather, Fleece-Lined Heavy Soled, High-Top Shoes.

The two types of seasonal flight gloves that were prescribed for Army aviators in the summer of 1917 were described thusly:

27.GLOVES (AVIATOR, WINTER). – To be made of buckskin or pliable black leather of approved quality, lined with fleece of unborn lamb. Hand of glove to be of the mitten type, with the thumb compartment sufficiently large to permit of its being withdrawn and placed with the fingers. There shall be a slit across the interior of the hand, which will permit the fingers being extended in the opening; the slit must be sufficiently overlapped, so that ordinarily it will remain closed.

Cuffs. – Cuffs to be of the gauntlet type, made of soft leather and extending about one-half the way up to the elbow, and to be the same color and material as the glove proper; the fur in the glove to extend 2 inches up the gauntlet from the wrist joint; a strap to be furnished for tightening the glove around the wrist.

GLOVES (AVIATOR SUMMER). – To be the regular gauntlet type of soft unlined buckskin or russet leather, with soft gauntlet extending about one-half the way to the elbow.

Specifications for the Uniform of the United States Army, 1917, page 22

Photo No. 73: The right and left hand aviators training at an unknown stateside airfield are wearing “mitten” style gloves that bear a close resemblance to the description of the black leather, 1917 Winter Aviators Glove that was written in the 1917 Uniform Specifications.

Photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

post-5143-0-51560500-1473157331_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 74: A closer look at the duo of mitten style aviator gloves (left and right), as well as the center aviators non-regulation, five finger style aviator glove.

post-5143-0-78936500-1473157388_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 75: This image shows a Signal Corps military aviator or possibly an early Air Service pilot wearing a non-regulation, British style leather flight coat along with what looks like a 1917 fur lined, Winter Helmet. The gloves also closely resemble the above description of the russet leather, 1917 Summer Aviator Glove.

post-5143-0-07600300-1473157438_thumb.jpg