EM Dress Droop Wing on eBay

2/4 Marine

Would you guys mind taking a look at this droop EGA on eBay. I'm on my mobile phone and can't post photos. The eBay number is 351827870948. I know in the back of Tims new book he talks about a reproduction variation of these. Also the "Sterling" mark looks interesting. Haven't found an example like this in the new book or on the forum. Thank guys!

2/4 Marine,

The casting looks rough to be an original. Also where the rope-wing-and ring meet is not crisp. Look at pg 229 bottom of the page in Klie's book. There are similarities with Pasquale. To me the most out of whack mark is the silver stamp. I believe this to be a repro. The whole bird feels wrong!

Thanks for that 2/4Marine. Any idea what the BIN price was? I agree with Dozer above about the quality of the casting, which, would here mean the original sculpted model from which the die was made. Very rough

Steve

Thanks for that 2/4Marine. Any idea what the BIN price was? I agree with Dozer above about the quality of the casting, which, would here mean the original sculpted model from which the die was made. Very rough

Steve

Sorry, I should have written mold instead of die. doh!!

Steve

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Just for your SA everyone, if you go into the advanced setting on the ebay search tool, you can check off "completed listings" and search results will still come up for older auctions.

Just some thoughts. Though I will let others decide on the originality. The "silver" mark with raised letters is indicative of Asian manufactured jewelry early to mid 20th century, not Chinese per say, but possibly or even perhaps from a Chinese jeweler say in the Philippines. Being it was jeweler made it would have been cast, and not stuck. I like it. Being a long time buyer and dealer of antique jewelry, I like the look of it.

Just my random thoughts. If there is known series of fakes out there then it throws my theory out the window, however with a fake I would expect a fake in silver to be marked "Sterling" or just stamped "Silver" in impressed letters, not raised in this case. The stamp is an old style of stamp, not is not seen much anymore.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Looking back through the photos, in post 5 - could that be an Asian makers mark inside the globe on the top right? Or could just be scratches..

Just some thoughts. Though I will let others decide on the originality. The "silver" mark with raised letters is indicative of Asian manufactured jewelry early to mid 20th century, not Chinese per say, but possibly or even perhaps from a Chinese jeweler say in the Philippines. Being it was jeweler made it would have been cast, and not stuck. I like it. Being a long time buyer and dealer of antique jewelry, I like the look of it.

Just my random thoughts. If there is known series of fakes out there then it throws my theory out the window, however with a fake I would expect a fake in silver to be marked "Sterling" or just stamped "Silver" in impressed letters, not raised in this case. The stamp is an old style of stamp, not is not seen much anymore.

When it was first listed, it had a BIN for $1000.00. I idnt like it, but I didnt think about the possibility it could have been Chian jeweler made either. I ould like to see what others continue to think. Kevin

I was able to purchase the EGA, when it comes in I can take detailed photos of it. It would be interesting if anyone else has seen this possible "Asian" jeweler made bird or if it is a repo.

I'd like to see clear photos. My opinion off the auction photos is a no-go. If a seller is asking a grand for something, you'd think they'd post better images

Hey 2/4 - Semper Fi. My 2-cents.........Hmmmmmmm? On its face I don't like it as a period original. Though not a sage, I've never seen one like it. I think it important to hear the seller's story of where it was obtained. We don't buy the story but it could contain a clue. Maybe, just maybe, a Marine on the China station needed a dress badge and paid a jeweler a buck to make one for him. Knowing who that Marine was would add some little provenance to it being a period, jeweler-made item. BTW, Interesting to me that it has a daisy roller. These are not found on pre-WWII emblems.

I have a China photo album from a Marine who served on the gun boat, USS Ashville PG-21 on the China Station in mid-1930s. In it is a photo of the Marine det. There are 29 enlisted Marines in the photo in full Blues. Only one wears a dress M-1926 droopy emblem. Just an observation about scarcity of this type badge.

When you get it in hand, and examine it in a numismatic way you can better draw your conclusions. Talk to you later, Ryan. Semper Fi......Bob

I've looked at this EGA for a couple of days. I'd have to say, I like it. Looking at the wear on the globe, it looks like it is silver. Hopefully you can get some background info from the seller.

Brian