100lbs of patches and these

Picked up a large collection today and along with lots of patches these were boxed up. All clutch back most marked Meyers with 2 shields.

There are about 15 pages of ovals and double that of beret flashes. The metal ovals and the rubber ovals are kinda cool.

post-8016-0-37523400-1472876612.jpgpost-8016-0-71090300-1472876626.jpg

A local collector here in AK decided to part with some of his collection so I bought what i could and then another local collector and I split things up between us. All in all 3 or 4 thousand patches a piece i would guess. Hard to say but it's going to be fun digging through it all.

Man thats a lot of ovals.With so many ovals that were made you really don't see a lot of pictures of them being worn, post WW2.Do they still wear/issue ovals?

Do they still wear/issue ovals?

Yes. Lots of authorized units wear them. See the US Army Institute of Heraldry website to view the currently authorized background trimmings.

The metal ovals date to the mid to late 1950's.

The first photo with the "WWII ovals" indicates to me that the collector bought some of his ovals from "At The Front," as there are a number that were made by them in the mix.

Allan

The metal ovals date to the mid to late 1950's.

The first photo with the "WWII ovals" indicates to me that the collector bought some of his ovals from "At The Front," as there are a number that were made by them in the mix.

Allan

I hit them with a black light and some of them glow, most don't but some are bright as the stars, thanks.

After the Korean War, parachute background trimmings (ovals) became a uniform size. They were larger than most WWII ovals Also, the ovals were no longer being sewn to uniforms, but rather being held in place on the uniform by the fasteners on the parachute badge themselves. As the ovals were worn, and removed and re-applied to uniforms, the ovals would soil and the edges would tend to curl. My understanding is that the latex rubber covered ovals came into use in order to counteract the soiling and the curling.

When the 11th Airborne went to Germany, it appears that the division leadership opted to experiment with the metal ovals. I agree with what has previously been mentioned- I think the metal ovals were all German made.

Switching gears a little bit- the ovals made by "At The Front" will not glow under UV light. If you compare the 506th PIR oval in the binder to a known ATF oval and known originals, you will see that your 506th oval is undoubtedly an ATF creation.

Allan

Great info thank you, I presume the few that glow are examples of newer construction or repost from other sources. I appreciate all the time and effort.

Thank you,

Dwight

• 1 month later...

Well this group and most of my collection was all sold last week. Over 6k patches in total. I kept the navy Rates and USMC stuff i wanted and the rest is on the hands of a another collector now.

Took me almost ten years to collect it and almost 10 min to sell it. WOW!!!! it hurts to lose some much so fast but my direction is changing and as such the old will pay for the new.

Sounds like political argument, YIKE!!!!

I may post my Navy rates here for sale shortly, there are only about 200 so it wont take but i need to chill for a while on patches.