Some Post Vietnam War Army Aviation patches

Patchcollector

The Apache Sea Pirates was made in Korea. I bought mine at a shop outside of Osan AB in 96-97. The shop made hundreds of Army Aviation and USAF patches. A scan of your patch with a couple others from the same shop. Both 3/6 and 1/6 have Heavy Cav patches.

post-1604-0-35000700-1484764175.jpg

In reference to the start of this thread, the question on the "Silver Surfer" patch. I was in this unit when we had this patch. The original unit was the 190th Air Assault Aviation Company, the "Spartans." The unit was equipped with UH-1s in Vietnam and was deactivated as the US participation came to an end. The 190th AVN Co was reactivated as a US Army Reserve Cargo Helicopter Company soon after and was posted at was then the US Naval Air Station Olathe, KS, just South-West of Kansas City, KS (now known as New Century Air-Center). When the Army's Regimental reorganization system came to the Army Aviation Reserve Components the 190th was reflagged as C Company, 2/158th AVN REGT, around 1995. The unit was reflagged again as F Company 158th AVN REGT, keeping the designation as the "Spartans" throughout all of these transitions, even to the units designation today as B Company, 7/158th AVN REGT. The only time that the unit has not warn some version of a "Spartan" patch was when this "Silver Surfer" patch was warn for about a year, around 1997ish. The patch designer went to a lot of effort to get permission to use the image of the "Silver Surfer" from Marvel Comics but when the unit wanted to sell T-shirt and mugs for fund raisin it became an issue with the trade mark and the unit members that had been in the unit for a longer period of time wanted the original "Spartan" unit designation brought back, for what I would say were good reasons, unit history and traditions. Hope that answers some of your questions.

Some more information on the Spartans. Attached is the Boeing Poster for the fielding of the CH-47Ds. This unit has been fielded with the CH-47A, B, C, D, and now the F model Chinooks. The E and G models are used by the 160th Special Operation Aviation Regiment (SOAR), Night Stockers.

post-14882-0-23685500-1485362746_thumb.jpg

In reference to the start of this thread, the question on the "Silver Surfer" patch. I was in this unit when we had this patch. The original unit was the 190th Air Assault Aviation Company, the "Spartans." The unit was equipped with UH-1s in Vietnam and was deactivated as the US participation came to an end. The 190th AVN Co was reactivated as a US Army Reserve Cargo Helicopter Company soon after and was posted at was then the US Naval Air Station Olathe, KS, just South-West of Kansas City, KS (now known as New Century Air-Center). When the Army's Regimental reorganization system came to the Army Aviation Reserve Components the 190th was reflagged as C Company, 2/158th AVN REGT, around 1995. The unit was reflagged again as F Company 158th AVN REGT, keeping the designation as the "Spartans" throughout all of these transitions, even to the units designation today as B Company, 7/158th AVN REGT. The only time that the unit has not warn some version of a "Spartan" patch was when this "Silver Surfer" patch was warn for about a year, around 1997ish. The patch designer went to a lot of effort to get permission to use the image of the "Silver Surfer" from Marvel Comics but when the unit wanted to sell T-shirt and mugs for fund raisin it became an issue with the trade mark and the unit members that had been in the unit for a longer period of time wanted the original "Spartan" unit designation brought back, for what I would say were good reasons, unit history and traditions. Hope that answers some of your questions.

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with this information and unit history.

Lars that is cool. Is it a pocket patch or worn above a name tape?

Unfortunately I don't know exactly. I will ask the former owner.

Lars that is cool. Is it a pocket patch or worn above a name tape?

"....worn on the right front pocket, of the old fatigues..."

Very cool.Thank you. I only thought ARP's were used in Vietnam.

I don't know, the patch is German made. Did the 14th Cav serve in Vietnam?

I don't know, the patch is German made. Did the 14th Cav serve in Vietnam?

No, the 14th was never in VN.

There were elite units all over the Army at the time of the VN war and post VN.

Thanks for the info, Dave!

​Yes, the 14th ACR was never in Vietnam.But did Air Can units have ARP's outside of Vietnam? The patch is above is the first Ive ever seen for one outside of VN.

​Yes, the 14th ACR was never in Vietnam.But did Air Can units have ARP's outside of Vietnam? The patch is above is the first Ive ever seen for one outside of VN.

From the former owner: "...Yes, the patch was worn, up until the re-flagging to 11th ACR in '72. The ACT was stationed at Sickels Army Airfield in Fulda. Then, it became ACT, 11th ACR and a long series of Thunderhorse patches was worn. The 14th ACR did not serve in RVN...."

Patchcollector

Thanks Lancer21 for supplying the Excellent info about the Silver Surfer patch.Wow,worn for only about a year;no wonder they are hard to find.

Thanks also to all those who have posted all the great patches recently.

Some more information on the Spartans. The unit was partially activated and deployed to Haiti in support of the UN Operation Uphold Democracy in 1995-96. The unit was combined with the Canadian CH-146 Griffons (UH-1s). Activation came again in 2005 for OEF, but after the devastating earthquake in Pakistan the unit was diverted to support the humanitarian operation there. Once that mission was successfully completed they were deployed to OEF in Afghanistan. There have been several deployments to support both OEF and OIF. The Greek writing at the bottom of the Shield Patches roughly translates to "either carrying your shield or on it" this means to say... Return victorious or return being carried on your shield as a casualty of war. Three members of the unit were part of the flight crew of "Extortion 17," that was shot down by RPG fire on 6 August 2011, killing 38 and a military service dog. The largest aircraft combat loss thus far in the War on Terrorism. The 'Dirty Dime' and the 'Zeppelin' patches were separate detachments in 2011 - 12. I hope that was found to be informative.

post-14882-0-87885800-1485595830.jpg

Patchcollector

Thank you for the additional info;it is always great to get it straight from the unit member.

Nice patches too