Globe and Laurel Restaurant

I'm going back up to NMMC at Quantico next week and a bit more sightseeing around Manassas and wanted to hear some reviews about the Globe and Laurel from anyone who had been there. Any info would be appreciated as to the food/service there these days. I look forward to seeing all the memorabilia I've heard about but in there read a few reviews on-line recently that did not speak too highly of the service or food there. Any other good places to eat nearby rather than just hotel food?

I have not eaten there since the Major and his wife are no longer in attendance. I'm not sure if the daughter who regularly worked there is still involved. But if they maintain the Major's exacting detail to great food and service...you can't go wrong.

Was there this past May. The Major comes in sometimes and came in on a Saturday to see some "stuff" I wanted to show him. Sadly his wife died several years ago. And yes the Major spent time complaining about the service himself since he turned over day to day operations to a manager and the "regulars" at the Privates Mess are always grousing about the food. But I never been disappointed with the pub burger. And some really like the Navy Bean soup. But really you go for the tradition and to see who is dinning that day....generals....past and present stop in or other names in the Service and that's half the fun watching them pay their respects to the Major when he is there. Also if your able to listen to his stories, the man is a walking encyclopedia of Marine Corps history. He still pulls stories out that amaze you...many from know these men first hand- Puller, Holcomb, Vandegrift, you name it. Yes you should still go and look at the militaria that covers the walls he has some great head gear on display above the bar.

I ate there last November and loved it. It was

2004 when I last visited and the meal and service was as I remembered, which is to say great! Be sure to ask for the French onion soup in lieu of salad, if you like the soup that is. I remembered that on the old menu, but the new menu is not so clear so I ate greens and was green with envy when a table next to me got it right. I love the place personally and have never had a bad meal or poor service. Kevin

Was there this past May. The Major comes in sometimes and came in on a Saturday to see some "stuff" I wanted to show him. Sadly his wife died several years ago. And yes the Major spent time complaining about the service himself since he turned over day to day operations to a manager and the "regulars" at the Privates Mess are always grousing about the food. But I never been disappointed with the pub burger. And some really like the Navy Bean soup. But really you go for the tradition and to see who is dinning that day....generals....past and present stop in or other names in the Service and that's half the fun watching them pay their respects to the Major when he is there. Also if your able to listen to his stories, the man is a walking encyclopedia of Marine Corps history. Yes you should still go and look at the militaria that covers the walls.

Dirk...I'm glad to hear the Major still comes by...a Gentleman by all means.

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys. I meant to go in there my last trip up there last year so I wanted to make it this time. Are reservations needed or is there a better time than others to drop in for dinner?

Robert this was taken this past May. Brought Mike Manifor with me. one of his regulars calls him and tells him I am am coming and he comes in. He may move slower and he complains about forgetting things but once we brought out stuff for him to see...then the stories flowed! Amazing man indeed. His memory is still pretty darn sharp.

image.jpeg

Robert this was taken this past May. Brought Mike Manifor with me. one of his regulars calls him and tells him I am am coming and he comes in. He may move slower and he complains about forgetting things but once we brought out stuff for him to see...then the stories flowed! Amazing man indeed.

Great shot.We usually went and met Ed and Melody Wages there...Good times.