508th PIR Pvt. Martin Teahan’s M1 Rifle Found 72 Years after D-Day

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

I ran across this rather amazing and very interesting story written by Jim Farrell and posted 8/24/16 on the www.ammoland.com site and thought members here would also find it to be noteworthy:

East Brunswick, NJ USA – If I were to report the facts, I would tell you Private Martin Teahan of HQ Company, 1st Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR), died on June 6, 1944, near a church in Picauville, Normandy.

Private-Martin-Teahan.jpg

A few weeks after D-Day, a French farmer in the area found a rifle with the name M. Teahan engraved on the butt of the rifle. No one knew what the farmer did with the rifle for 72 years, until it was discovered this February by a French Army Paratrooper Commander named Colonel Patrick Collet.

Private-Martin-Teahans-M1-Garand.jpg

While scouting a position, he was shot in the leg, captured, and then killed by a German soldier who thought he was reaching for a weapon.

Those are the facts, but the story associated with the rifle tugs on something much deeper for me.

You see, Private Martin was my Uncle “Matty.” A poor Irish Immigrant, who’s stories of his bravery resonated with me as I grew up in the same rough Irish neighborhood in the South Bronx. Five days prior to the discovery of the rifle, I visited my roots for the first time since childhood. I stood in grand St Jerome’s Church, and thought of my Uncle Matty as I looked at his name, engraved in the cool stone of the somber building.

Then, as if by fate, we received an email (On Saint Patrick’s Day) from Colonel Patrick Collet, a French Army Paratrooper commander who grew up in Normandy. He had acquired an M1 Garand rifle from a decedent of the farmer in Picauville. Once he saw the named M. Teahan engraved on the rifle, he knew he had something special and was determined to find who M. Teahan was.

My sister Liz and I long ago became members of the 508th PIR to honor our uncle Matty. Liz setup a profile page on the 508th PIR website, listing her as a contact. Who knew, this simple process would result in such a life altering discovery, as the first place Colonel Collet searched was the 508th PIR website. He found the match and notified Liz.

Colonel Collet invited my wife Monica and I to visit this June. We got to hold the rifle; I felt the cold metal of the weapon on my fingertips, and envisioned my Uncle, bravely marching forward through enemy territory. I was also in the army, many years later, but never engaged in the sort of battle for which so many young men of WW II fought and died. We decided this majestic representation of history should be returned to Martin Tehan’s brothers-in-arms, the 82nd Airborne Division, 508th PIR.

I knew, she knew, the moment we found out, the rifle was our Uncle Matty coming home after 72 years.

Private-Martin-Teahans-M1-Garand-Home.jpg

Our visit didn’t end there; Colonel Collet had arranged an unbelievable itinerary for us. We were directed to the site of Uncle Matty’s grave, where we met the U.S. Army Chief of Staff General Milley to salute and say a prayer. A man of quiet authority, I immediately jumped to attention and snapped “Yes Sir” at his direction. Monica of course found this to be hilarious, but she understood, as I did, the magic of the moments we were sharing on this trip.

And what a trip! After the cemetery, we visited Omaha and Utah beaches, including an amazing jaunt to Point du Hoc. This moment, staring at the cliff of Point Du Hoc, will forever blaze in my memory. General Milley and his staff guided us through each site, and their descriptive stories provided the fields for our imaginations to roam.

Martin Teahan’s rifle will be brought over to General Milley by Colonel Collet and the French Army Chief of Staff General Bosser later this year. General Milley has invited my entire family to officially donate the rifle at a ceremony at the Pentagon. I suspect the plaque will look something like my first paragraph, with some added words about bravery and duty. As appropriate as it will be, I doubt it can ever capture the emotion, the power, and the change we experienced as a result of the rifle’s discovery."

Pretty cool.

Charlie

What a truly amazing story. Goosebumps.

await hearing about the presentation.

As the son of a D-Day/OMAHA BEACH veteran; I truly became emotional reading this.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful family history

This is remarkable story.

Here and on other sites I have seen photos of 'farmhouse find' rifles and other equipment like this, and it amazes me every time. So much more fascinating that the soldier could be determined and relatives found.

You're posting some great stuff today Charlie.

Amazing and fantastic story. I too lived in the South Bronx many years ago and attended St. Jeromes. Lots of Irish in that neighborhood back in the day. Thanks for sharing. R. I. P. Pvt Teahan. Bobgee

This is an absolutely amazing story. I would have displayed it on my wall for a few good years though before donating to the division! :D

I don't think he could bring it back into the country.

Ronnie

Fantastic story. Assuming the sling is original it's just another piece of evidence (aside from photos) supporting the use of web slings in mid 1944. Interesting to see that it's mounted upside down. I wonder if this is the configuration it's been in since it was found.