WWII A-2 jacket painting questions

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

Let me see if I can get my thoughts onto paper here....

This week there was an awesome A2 on Bay State that would in many rights be the ultimate for most collectors.

The crispness of the jacket along with the paint job is topnotch. My question is this: How would one know if this is a repaint or not? This jacket certainly doesnt look as though its been through 30 mission or whatever the case may be...looks like it was painted and never worn. That is where other questions come into play?

Were A-2s ever painted and then just kept for personal nostalgia and then they have a 2nd one made? Is it just that this soldier kept it well after the war? I understand that this artist painted many jackets and was known for his work.

I guess what I am trying to say is how can you tell if the paint is new or not? I am assuming the same applies to all the headaches over helmet paint? Or is it easier to tell on clothing?

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT calling into question Bay State's reputation, or the authenticity of this jacket in any way, so please spare us all and DO NOT go that route. I am simply trying to learn. And also, so I dont get spanked VIA the internet and verbal lashing...all pics are property of Baystate Militaria and are not mine in any way ,shape, or form.

DSCN2272q.JPG

DSCN2275q.JPG

DSCN2283q.JPG

DSCN2286q.JPG

Well as far as I'm concerned the jacket does appear to have a lot of wear on it. Maybe the guy took extreme care of the jacket. Maybe he wore a B15 instead of this jacket or even a B3 on many missions. The paint is not new. It is old as the jacket. How can I tell? By handling many A2's. It is as you say a very nice jacket.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie

Generally speaking...the elaborate artwork, usually was done post tour, as a mission statement....look at jackets with all the bomb symbols...the symbols are usually the same style, shape and color, done in one sitting or close together, not spread out over a 25-35 plus tour......jackets in theater usually had name tags, and squadron patches sewn or painted on...all throughout the tour...but the good stuff was generally applied near the end or post tour

There are many examples of painted jackets being worn during the tour, but again generally speaking...jackets had the artwork applied after the tour or close to the end....so not too much wear and tear on the artwork...generally speaking...not saying this is the case for this jacket...generally speaking

Nice artwork on this one

Generally speaking...the elaborate artwork, usually was done post tour, as a mission statement....look at jackets with all the bomb symbols...the symbols are usually the same style, shape and color, done in one sitting or close together, not spread out over a 25-35 plus tour......jackets in theater usually had name tags, and squadron patches sewn or painted on...all throughout the tour...but the good stuff was generally applied near the end or post tour

There are many examples of painted jackets being worn during the tour, but again generally speaking...jackets had the artwork applied after the tour or close to the end....so not too much wear and tear on the artwork...generally speaking...not saying this is the case for this jacket...generally speaking

Nice artwork on this one

I agree with this as well. In many cases artwork was added at or towards the end of their tour. Not always, but it did happen. Also, some groups and or squadrons had very talented artists painting jackets that were done with great care and detail. For the record, I'm not referring to this jacket in particular. Just what happened in general.

JD

Painted jackets were mostly a "walk around" thing.....much like the later Vietnam era party suits. The wearing of painted jackets on missions was considered a security risk at some levels of authority. After the "Murder Inc." incident the wearing of took a very hard look from Eight Air Force authorities.

As to the jacket in question......I would really like to examine that Ninth shoulder insignia......visually it has the shine of acrylic paint and show little paint loss. Remember leather doesn't "like" paint. A "jacket painter" that I knew would scrub the jacket to be painted with av-gas before the painting......trying to make the paint as permanent as possible.