PT Boat dog tag

USdog

This came in a lot of tags. I was pleasantly surprised while researching this one to find that he was a PT Boat crewman.

He enlisted in October 1942 and had served with MTB RON-3, MTB RON-5, and MTB RON-21. He served aboard PT 60, 117,108, and 323 during his service.

So far into my research I have found that he was aboard PT-323 when it was almost split in half by a kamikaze at Leyte Gulf in the Philippines.

post-93633-0-33383000-1472568043.jpg

Great research and information..

PT boat items are at the top of my Navy collecting list...

Well Done...

Leigh

Great research and information..

PT boat items are at the top of my Navy collecting list...

Well Done...

Leigh

Thanks! It's always nice to find PT boat stuff. This is my 3rd tag to a PT boat crewman.

After the wreck of PT 109 and the remainder of John Kennedy's crew and he were rescued, the survivors were all given 30-45 days of survivors leave, something that Sailors were entitled after they had survived a ship sinking. If I recall, Kennedy did not elect to take survivors leave, but stayed in the Pacific and commanded PT 59.

Leigh

Just doing a search of his name in the muster rolls this is where it ends... there are no further entries after Dec 1944. It does state that after his survivors leave that he's to transfer to MTBSTC (Motor Torpedo Boat Squadrons Training Center). I might be able to pick up the trail there.

Great tag!!!!! The hit from the kamikaze was devastating and being on a small boat probably saved lives as they were probably able to jump overboard to avoid the hit.

Here's his activities after the sinking of PT-323:

12-24-44 he was transferred to the States for survivor's leave

3-6-45 he went to MTBSTC (Motor Torpedo Boat Squadrons Training Center) from RS Boston

8-26-45 from MTBSTC to MTB ComDet (MTB Commissioning Detail in NY) for further transfer to MTB Ron Forty-Two (he never made it to MTB Ron 42)

10-18-45 at MTB ComDet transferred to Rec. Sta. Pier 92 NY for discharge

Here's his activities after the sinking of PT-323:

12-24-44 he was transferred to the States for survivor's leave

3-6-45 he went to MTBSTC (Motor Torpedo Boat Squadrons Training Center) from RS Boston

8-26-45 from MTBSTC to MTB ComDet (MTB Commissioning Detail in NY) for further transfer to MTB Ron Forty-Two (he never made it to MTB Ron 42)

10-18-45 at MTB ComDet transferred to Rec. Sta. Pier 92 NY for discharge

That's some awesome info! Thanks so much

"On the afternoon of December 10, PT's 323 and 327 were underway for patrol station, with PT's 528 and 532 following 200 yards astern, when four planes attacked them. One crashed the 323 amidships, damaging the boat beyond repair. Lt. (jg.) Herbert Stadler, USNR, the boat captain, was killed; Ens. William I. Adelman, USNR, the second officer, was missing; 11 men were wounded, including two Army Officers who were passengers on the 323."

Taken from the book "At Close Quarters" PT Boats in the United States Navy by Captain Robert J. Bulkley, Jr.

Page 394/395.

Leigh

I could not find your man in the 21st history, it's just officers listed.I also looked in my book AT CLOSE QUARTERS.I couldn't find your man list there either.It list's awards, just not the Purple Heart.

I could not find your man in the 21st history, it's just officers listed.I also looked in my book AT CLOSE QUARTERS.I couldn't find your man list there either.It list's awards, just not the Purple Heart.

Thanks for looking. I'm going to get his records and photo from the archives so that should help research a bit!

"On the afternoon of December 10, PT's 323 and 327 were underway for patrol station, with PT's 528 and 532 following 200 yards astern, when four planes attacked them. One crashed the 323 amidships, damaging the boat beyond repair. Lt. (jg.) Herbert Stadler, USNR, the boat captain, was killed; Ens. William I. Adelman, USNR, the second officer, was missing; 11 men were wounded, including two Army Officers who were passengers on the 323."

Taken from the book "At Close Quarters" PT Boats in the United States Navy by Captain Robert J. Bulkley, Jr.

Page 394/395.

Leigh

Great info. Thanks!

Your Sailor is listed in the PT boat rosters in the book "Knights of the Sea" There is not however any bio information..

Leigh

Your Sailor is listed in the PT boat rosters in the book "Knights of the Sea" There is not however any bio information..

Leigh

Leigh,

Thank you so much for checking. Too bad there is no bio info on him...

• 3 years later...
HarryRAlexander

Bud Neet served on the PT 323 with my dad. S1C Harry R Alexander.

My dad was on the 20mm that you can see on some of the pictures taken of the boat after it was hit. This is where ensign Adleman was killed, and my dad badly injured.

My dad remembered nothing after the boat was hit until he woke up in the hospital ship. Many years later the PT Boat reunion team contacted us, and my dad met up with Bud and a few other members of the 323, and other PT boaters. There he learned that Bud and another sailor held my dad for a few hours in the water until rescued.

This page has a pic of my dad (middle). He told me that this was Bud and the other sailor that held him in the water. I do not recall which is which. https://s1charryalexander.wordpress.com/2017/03/05/memorabilia/

Bud lived in Oregon all of his life, and passed in 2002.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/133115155/einrid-neet

I attempted to contact his sons, to determine who is who, but the number listed is no longer in service

Hi Harry,

I no longer own this dog tag, it is with a friend of mine. But this is a photo of Bud Neet during the war.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk