Female in USN Jumper ID: Middy, not Navy

Vix Steel

Picked up this Postcard over the weekend.

Dont know too much about Women in the Service...

She looks rather young and the jumper seems to be kinda large.

Im guessing shes playing dress up??

Anyone?

Thanx guys!

post-2893-0-17983600-1472524786_thumb.jpg

Possible its one from a relative or sweet heart.

It was also stylish in the post WW1-1920s for women to wear and or make jumpers.I had one in a checkered pattern once.Had Navystyle patches on ot too.

Could be a World War I Yeoman(F). These were the first enlisted women in the Navy. You don't usually see them without headgear but this looks like a private studio photo. Is there a name on it anywhere?

Tom

That is a middie, which was a very common style of clothing for civilians (usually women or children) to wear around the turn of the century through the 1930s or so.

Could be a World War I Yeoman(F). These were the first enlisted women in the Navy. You don't usually see them without headgear but this looks like a private studio photo. Is there a name on it anywhere?

Tom

I beleive the star in the rate is Master at Arms

The star is one of the most common designs that shows up on middie "ratings" -- the other being chief quartermaster, but of course, chiefs don't wear jumpers...

The star is one of the most common designs that shows up on middie "ratings" -- the other being chief quartermaster, but of course, chiefs don't wear jumpers...

Agreed

I have had several.Just pointing out it wasnt a yoeman rate and the female uniform was more of a dress/long jacket than a jumper.The middies are often confused with real uniforms.One hung here in a antique shop thats now closed and the owner had it labled as "Civil War"

Agreed

I have had several.Just pointing out it wasnt a yoeman rate and the female uniform was more of a dress/long jacket than a jumper.The middies are often confused with real uniforms.One hung here in a antique shop thats now closed and the owner had it labled as "Civil War"

Oh, absolutely. It certainly confuses things when they sometimes used old stock rates and sewed them on. It helps when the crow looks as ridiculous as the rest of it, just so you know instantly that it's a middie.

The yeomanette uniform is very distinct style, and nothing like the jumper style of the middies.

I might be seeing things, but it looks to me like she has a large bow on the back of her hair. I think this is a sweetheart or a daughter.

It's actually named on the back. Looks like Mildred Strunk.

Fashion item of the day. She got married on April 10, 1924 and became Mildred Dickinson, so this was likely taken before she got married (at age 18) and changed her name.