can you identify this canteen

Norwood

Picked up a canteen that I believe is military but can not find one like it. Could anyone tell me what country this might belong to.

post-151590-0-18436000-1472473148.jpg

Have discovered this is a Landers Fray & Clark pre WW2, but a US manufacture (Connecticut). You jumped the gun there Senior Mod

Most likely not for military use and I believe that is what Tarbridge meant by non-us. This particular one seems to have been painted black for some reason. They look better shined up, but it does show how much better things were made in the early part of the last Century. This thing is solid which may or may not indicate end use other than commerical.

Have discovered this is a Landers Fray & Clark pre WW2, but a US manufacture (Connecticut). You jumped the gun there Senior Mod

Thanks for the information...I left the thread open for identification...which worked splendidly...

Just a correction on the manufacturer. This is Landers Frary and Clark, not Fray.

Would it be possible to take pictures of the manufacturers stamp? I know it may not reveal too well through the paint but I am curious.

Good detective work on the identification too..

Leigh

Just a correction on the manufacturer. This is Landers Frary and Clark, not Fray.

Would it be possible to take pictures of the manufacturers stamp? I know it may not reveal too well through the paint but I am curious.

Good detective work on the identification too..

Leigh

this black paint is making it hard to locate a stamp do you know where the identification is usually located?

If there is going to be a maker's mark, it would either be on the bottom or on the face or flat surface of the canteen.

This is what a Landers Frary and Clark (LF&C) canteen looks like..

I will continue to research this.

Leigh

post-5554-0-78611000-1472570559.jpg

From how or where did you make this discovery?

Alright. I've spent have the day on this and need to get back to work. Gitana' post shows the only canteen authorized by the Quartermaster Corps durning WWI. This canteen was the M-1910 developed by Rock Island with 5 manufactuers of which Landers, Frary and Clark was one. The other two canteens in original post and by Leigh were manufactured by L,F&C but not for WW1 military use. This information came from the History of the US Army Field Gear.

Great information flow here...

Like seeing how this has developed with other forum members knowledge and research..

Leigh

this black paint is making it hard to locate a stamp do you know where the identification is usually located?

I'm with Robert...if you can't see the stamp how did you determine this was a LF&C? Just curious.

Mine is a cautionary tale. I made a cardinal sin by initialy going on apperance to identify a piece without first finding the neccesary information. i.e. stamps or dates. We stripped the paint off and found universal stamped on the neck, but nothing else. This would suggest that the initial guess was correct, but does not excuse the process. I would like to apologize to this community which I highly respect for both their knowledge and expertise. I have been a collector for 15 years and it has become apparent I still have a lot to learn.