Wow, some amazing models!

rrobertscv

Johan Willaert

Fantastic Models indeed, but I find the one where Jews are being executed absolutely tasteless and inappropriate.

Even if that was the reality of war, it doesn't need to be 'modeled'....

Fantastic Models indeed, but I find the one where Jews are being executed absolutely tasteless and inappropriate.

I went back and looked twice, I couldn't believe someone would use that as a model.

In what way would modeling the images be different from photographs, museum displays and films of it?

I went back and looked twice, I couldn't believe someone would use that as a model.

I personally think it is quite fitting. It is tough to look at, but it is oh so necessary. So many times, diorammas show a light hearted or a rather glorious look at warfare. Just like the history books on the atrocities of WWII, a modeling of the saddest part of WWII is needed to remind people just went on. I think it is not a matter of taste that is important, but the message.

-Ski

I personally think it is quite fitting. It is tough to look at, but it is oh so necessary. So many times, diorammas show a light hearted or a rather glorious look at warfare. Just like the history books on the atrocities of WWII, a modeling of the saddest part of WWII is needed to remind people just went on. I think it is not a matter of taste that is important, but the message.

-Ski

Spot on my friend, spot on. thumbsup.gif

I am a History fanatic and I believe ALL history is important and shouldn't be forgotten. To close the Holocaust out of today's society is like trying to take WWII out of the History books, completely unacceptable. thumbdown.gif

I find the Holocaust model sombering, but very necessary for society. It is hard to pick the best model though, there are just so many good ones!! :) I think my favorite one would be the one attached below. The use of the water is quite good. The one that I find funny though is the one where the jet is hunting down the two Japaneses planes. :lol:

- Jeff

post-1090-1222209745.jpg

post-1090-1222209766.jpg

Jeff-

That diorama, with the F14 and the Japanese planes, is probably inspired by a movie called "The Final Countdown" starring Kirk Douglas if I recall correctly

My favorite one is also the U boat. The detail on the water is stunning, with the water fairly boiling out of the holes of the maneuvering hull. I'd love to know how that is done

About the diorama of the execution- it is shocking and that is the point. Our reaction should be one of shock. It doesn't glorify the event, it chronicles it. I do not believe that knowledge of evil is itself evil; I believe that ignoring evil is in itself evil

Actually, I like the "accidental perspective" of this one...

I looks like troops in the ETO are standing next to a seawall and are about to rescue the crew of an TBM, while APC's observe from a nearby cliff!

Model_illusion.jpg

All of the models were amazing....the amount of thought, detail and artistic technique just incredible.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the model of the Jews about to be executed...very poignant and sad and I am sure this scene was replayed many a time in real life. War is not always about the glory, the heroics, the medals and the campaign ribbons. I have conducted many in-depth hours long interviews with some 4 dozen or more veterans and they related all to well and all to often the misery, horror, filth, inhumanity and abject depression they encountered while in the service of their country.

Johan Willaert

Well, to each his opinion.

It is NOT and was NOT my intention to deny the holocaust and 'final solution' and I couldn't agree more that we cannot do enough to remember and show what happened during WW2.

I'm just wondering what's next? Re-enacting of deportation and massacre at Living History Events for the sake of showing what happened during WW2?

Maybe it's just because I live in a country where thousands were deported and where thousands more still remember the occupation with all of the hardship that it brought.

Anyway, let's close the discussion here and focus on the models...

Johan

I think the point of the diorama in question was to illicit a response from the viewer - and it has. I thought it was very touching to portray the young girl standing beside the German soldier. I am sure that scene was played out many times. One wonders how the soldier felt - how they reconciled what was happening with their own personal beliefs. I do not believe that all German soldiers believed in the so-called "Finald Solution" and I am sure there were many who were horrified by the goings on. Just so you know, I am not an apologist for the German military and I am not a Holocaust denier and I do not think anyone was inferring Johan that you were either.

When I looked at the model of the execution scene, I tried to imagine what the motivation of the modeler was.

Modelers, for all the "realism" they strive for in their dioramas, too often end up with a romanticised image of warfare. I almost wonder if this modeler made this as a counter point to all the others that you see that show victorious German troops sweeping across the steppes. I am sure he got the attention of his fellow modelers when he showed up with this at the show. It is a good reminder that no matter how many super detailed Tiger II tanks you build in your basement, WWII was still a cataclysm that completely obliterated parts of Europe.

A diorama I would like to see is US troops liberating a concentration camp. If you read accounts from soldiers who participated in such things, they always seem to say "It was then I knew exactly what we were fighting for."

A diorama I would like to see is US troops liberating a concentration camp. If you read accounts from soldiers who participated in such things, they always seem to say "It was then I knew exactly what we were fighting for."

That is exactly why Part 9 in Band of Brothers is titled, "Why We Fight". When the episode portrays the first visit to the concentration camp. I think the episode was titled very nicely.

- Jeff

Some amazing Art here...wish I had the time to get back into modeling. Those who ever built a model know what a pain it is from day 1--but look at the outcome when it's done! w00t.gif

• 2 weeks later...