Unknown 1969 US Navy UDT Barracuda Invitational patch

Siamundo

Anyone know what this UDT patch might be? It is from the 1969 Barracuda Invitational at the US Naval Amphibious Base, Norfolk, VA. I am guessing it might have been a golf tournament or maybe some other athletic event. I also remember reading somewhere about annual reunions former UDT members attended every year so maybe this was from one of those. It is still sewn to a very thin piece of lightweight green material almost like T-shirt material. Thank you for any insight.

post-2744-0-28726500-1472312377_thumb.jpg

Cool patch. I always liked Freddie the Frog.

If you make it to the ASMIC show here in Portland, you will get to see ALOT of the 'Freddie the Frog' patches in a display that a local, new member is putting up. All about the UDT/SEALS and their involvment witht the NASA splashdowns. Mainly Apollo 15 and 16. Some real candid photos from the Astronauts and the UDT guys in the water at recovery time.

Thanks skir. Do you know what type of swim meet it was? Military or inter-service, or younger swimmers like AAU? Any idea why the patch would specify Norfolk instead of Little Creek?

Thanks skir. Do you know what type of swim meet it was? Military or inter-service, or younger swimmers like AAU? Any idea why the patch would specify Norfolk instead of Little Creek?

Siamundo,

The meet was opened to everyone, a friend who was a Va.Beach lifeguard at the time actually participated in the meet. Back in the day, the East Coast UDTs did a lot of sporting events in the area just as NSW do the Special Olympics now. No mystery on the Norfolk 'address', NAB Little Creek is located in Norfolk Virginia , and I don't think there was enough room on the patch to spell out 'little Creek'.

I agree with Skir about the use of Norfolk on the patch.

It is interesting that most people think NAB Little Creek is in Norfolk, but it really is in the City of Virginia Beach since 1963.

Chris