Thoughts on mannequin gear for future project

JasonT

As far as a pack I would go with the Model1928.It will be khaki color but that's pretty typical of what was being worn and many are easy to source as original today.

Also another option is the M36 musette bag attached to M36 suspenders..They can be found in khaki or dark OD.The bag would offer light weight plus the basics can be carried...mess gear,extra socks,K rations,wool shirt,sweaterwool gloves or mittens etc.I spoke to a couple 1th Airborne vets and they were brothers.One mentioned using socks as gloves at the Bulge.He said the only problem was we didn't have more.He said he gave his extra set to his brother.

A blanket or poncho could be folded and placed under the flap if needed.

Also some carried the general purpose ammo/rifle grenade bag which could also carry a host of items.I even see the light weight gasmask bag being used as a general purpose bag.Many ditched the mask and used the bag for other items.

Seems most like to travel as light as possible and not like the re-inactors you see with gear slung off every D-ring or strap.

Just some random thoughts.Good luck with your display

Thanks Doyler for your thoughts on the packs! From a lot of the photos I've seen the front line troops definitely liked to move light. I've even read that many would ditch everything in battle if needed except their E-tool (besides of course rifle and ammo).

Thought I'd share some photos of a M-1943 entrenching shovel (E-tool) made by Ames in 1944. Came with later variation carrier made by Meyers and Son and dated 1945. Same seller I bought the flashlight from at the local show last weekend. I will have to look into trying to clean some of the rust off the shovel and possibly getting a replacement carrier.

post-154340-0-18038700-1521907081.jpgpost-154340-0-24683400-1521907092.jpg

• 3 months later...

M1943 Field Jacket - picked up today at a local show. Is late war spec 370E and missing the draw string, but for $20 I had to get it.

post-154340-0-06966700-1530478030_thumb.jpg