Thoughts on mannequin gear for future project

JasonT

Hi everyone,

I've been going back and forth on deciding to undertake a new project. My grandfather served as an infantryman in the 100th Division during WWII, so I have been thinking of doing a mannequin display of some kind displaying the uniform, insignia and gear he would have worn.

My question is, since the 100th arrived in France in Fall 1944, what year gear should I aim for for pouches, canteens, packs, jackets, pants, etc..? Should I just stick to 1944 to make it simple?Or does it not really matter, as some have said in related threads for those that collect field gear?

Thanks in advance

Anything dated 44 or earlier would be appropriate. You should examine period photos of the 100th Division to get an idea of what types of gear they were carrying. Like M1924 vs m1942 first aid pouches, T-handle vs folding shovel, etc. Color of the gear shouldn't matter either, the soldiers back then didn't care what color their equipment was. I would be more concerned with making sure the condition of the gear matched. It'd look weird to have a heavily used belt with a mint, unissued canteen or first aid pouch on it.

Anything dated 44 or earlier would be appropriate. You should examine period photos of the 100th Division to get an idea of what types of gear they were carrying. Like M1924 vs m1942 first aid pouches, T-handle vs folding shovel, etc. Color of the gear shouldn't matter either, the soldiers back then didn't care what color their equipment was. I would be more concerned with making sure the condition of the gear matched. It'd look weird to have a heavily used belt with a mint, unissued canteen or first aid pouch on it.

Thank you for the advice! I'll be sure to keep this in mind and start saving all the photos I can.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just wanted to share my update on my 1944-1945 100th Division ETO infantryman mannequin display project. After a year since my initial thought to do it I finally got around to picking up a few items.

All of these items were acquired at Bay State Militaria's local New England show the last several months;

• M-1910 Canteen Set - Canteen is dated 1944 by G.P.F. & Co. and Cup is also dated '44 by Foley Mfg. Co. The cover is unmarked or too faded to read.
  • M-1942 First Aid Pouch - dated either 1944 or 1945 (too faded to read).
  • M-1936 Pistol Belt - dated 1945. This came with the canteen set and pouch - I don't plan on using this in the display.
  • M1 Cleaning Rod Kit with case - dated 1944 - Rod stamped APCO JMC2, Case by FM&S Co.
  • M-1923 Cartridge Belt - belt is to faded to read date or manufacturer stamp.

Next up I plan to look into getting an M-1928 Haversack pack w/ meat can pouch, and M-1943 field jacket and a 1943 or 1944 field mess kit.

Everything I have acquired thus far is OD #7 color. Does it make more sense to get the field jacket and pack in OD7 as well to match, or does it really not matter? I know the troops back then didn't care if items matched, but would it make a display look odd or certain items out of place?

I would use either the M1944 pack system or the M1943 large pack as most GI's that arrived in the ETO in later 1944 had the newer field gear equipment issued to them.

I would use either the M1944 pack system or the M1943 large pack as most GI's that arrived in the ETO in later 1944 had the newer field gear equipment issued to them.

Thanks oldabewla for the advice! I'll make sure I do some further research before I pick up a pack

• 1 month later...

A few more items I've picked up over the last month;

M1942 mess kit - model Leyse 1944- with utensils. I have to do more research on the utensils.

post-154340-0-75676600-1519487525_thumb.jpg

M1 Garand clip with armor piercing rounds, dated 1942, manufactured by Twin Cities ("42 T W"). I thought it would go well with the ammo belt I already have.

post-154340-0-74986100-1519488370_thumb.jpg

That's a great war to honor your Grandfather especially for those coming after you. Do you have anything of your Grandfather's uniform wise? I think you'll do well with Bay State Militaria.

Thanks sundance! Unfortunately, the only items my grandfather kept were a few ribbon bars, collar discs, CIB, his good conduct medal and bronze star, which my dad still has, and oddly enough 1 round of 30 cal ammo.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a Carlisle first aid packet that I recently picked up. It's early to mid war, but will do for now until I replace it with the later cardboard and foil package.

post-154340-0-31388500-1521630350_thumb.jpg

post-154340-0-47726400-1521630359.jpg

Picked up a TL-122B flashlight at the local show last weekend. Inoperable due to old batteries leaking acid a while back, but great for display and was only $10. Just needs a good cleaning. Also came with two of the red spare filters as well.post-154340-0-48616900-1521665718.jpg

post-154340-0-48883100-1521665732.jpg

As far as a pack I would go with the Model1928.It will be khaki color but that's pretty typical of what was being worn and many are easy to source as original today.

Also another option is the M36 musette bag attached to M36 suspenders..They can be found in khaki or dark OD.The bag would offer light weight plus the basics can be carried...mess gear,extra socks,K rations,wool shirt,sweaterwool gloves or mittens etc.I spoke to a couple 1th Airborne vets and they were brothers.One mentioned using socks as gloves at the Bulge.He said the only problem was we didn't have more.He said he gave his extra set to his brother.

A blanket or poncho could be folded and placed under the flap if needed.

Also some carried the general purpose ammo/rifle grenade bag which could also carry a host of items.I even see the light weight gasmask bag being used as a general purpose bag.Many ditched the mask and used the bag for other items.

Seems most like to travel as light as possible and not like the re-inactors you see with gear slung off every D-ring or strap.

Just some random thoughts.Good luck with your display