"Carlisle" Pouch Help

Blacksmith

Hi friends - found this recently, and would love your opinions on it. Has Carr glove snaps, and construction and material made me think USMC. However, it doesn't have the rounded corners that I've come to expect with USMC gauze pouches. Any ideas? Thank you.

post-94991-0-47135500-1472230721_thumb.jpeg

post-94991-0-78051700-1472230737_thumb.jpeg

post-94991-0-24220600-1472230750_thumb.jpeg

I believe this is a depot or QMD made pouch.. but for some reason not marked.

Maybe lend-lease?

I hate that so much field gear has these grease pencil markings on them, but I suppose it attests to a time when these items were no more than surplus junk.

-Brian

Thank you Brian. Any sense for value?

I believe this is a depot or QMD made pouch.. but for some reason not marked.

Maybe lend-lease?

I hate that so much field gear has these grease pencil markings on them, but I suppose it attests to a time when these items were no more than surplus junk.

-Brian

Isnt this a variation of the Medics "wound tag" pouch ?

Regards

Lloyd

Yep. It's a diagnostic tag pouch for WW1 medics. I've seen some marked with the Mills maker's stamp and some unmarked.

Wow, they do look really close. Subtle difference in stitching.

The USMC pouch had rounded corners and thin tape around the edges.

The M1910 first aid pouch shown in that ebay auction looks similar to the diagnostic tag pouch but there are several differences. The diagnosis tag pouch is slightly taller than the first aid pouch, the location of the snaps were different and, as mentioned above, the placement of the stitching. Most notably the horizontal stitching on the front. On the first aid pouch it is just above the snaps and on the diagnostic tag pouch it's just below the snaps (and they also run vertically along the edges). The most obvious difference is that the material is totally different. The first aid pouch is a much softer woven canvas and the diagnostic tag pouch is usually a pretty stiff, thinner, denim like material. These are just my observations though.

I've got a very similar one stamped J.Q.M.D. 1942, OD 3 and canvas material. I considered it to be nothing more than a variant of the bandage pouch. Jack

This is a diagnostic tag pouch from WW1. To my knowledge they were not produced after WW1. It may have been used on occasion as a first aid pouch (or to carry anything else for that matter) but its intended use was to carry tags with treatment information pertaining to wounded and injured soldiers as well as other small items like scissors, safety pins, etc. The photo of the 3 medics is from Fausto's post in the below thread.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/191701-large-style-wwi-first-aid-pouch-bandge-question/

The period photo of the Medics belt (posted by atb) shows the clipped corner variation of this pouch (from this thread http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/128579-mills-clipped-corners-first-aid-pouch/)

post-3508-0-40929300-1472239610_thumb.jpg

post-3508-0-34089400-1472239995.jpg

Very informative thread I certainly see the difference now!

If I saw this at a garage sale I probably would have bought it and stuck a Carlisle tin in it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone obviously felt the same way, as it had one in it when I bought it.

As part of 'the dance', because I knew it didn't belong there, I told him he could keep it.

:)

Very informative thread I certainly see the difference now!

If I saw this at a garage sale I probably would have bought it and stuck a Carlisle tin in it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk