All Hail the B-52

Bob Hudson

I just watched the tail end of a Military Channel program about the B-52 and it once again reminded me what a remarkable aircraft this is. The first contract bid for them was in 1946, the first one flew in 1952, the Air Force put them in service in 1955 and plans call for them to be part of the Air Force through 2040 - 94 years after the first contract!

To put that in perspective, it's as if today - in 2008 - they were using an aircraft contracted for in 1914, first flown in 1920 and put into service in 1923, which be something like this:

martinbomber.jpg

During the first Gulf War I was watching an interview with a B-52 pilot done by a local Denver station. The interview was conducted in the cockpit of the pilots B-52. During the interview, the reporter talked about the age of the B-52. The pilot replied he was a second generation B-52 pilot and that his father had flown them in Viet Nam. The reporter was impressed, but not as impressed as when the pilot informed the reporter that they were sitting in that very B-52 his father had bombed North Viet Nam in. Apparently while comparing notes with his Dad, the pilot made the discovery after comparing airframe numbers.

the city I live in had B-52s based here (Fairchild AFB) until the mid 90s or so. They were awesome to watch as they flew overhead. Unfortunately, they were transferred to Barksdale AFB and now we only have KC-135s. It just ain't the same... crying.gif

The "Buff" is one of maybe 5 other USAF aircraft that can be called "legendary" in terms of service life.

Examples of others would be the U-2, C-47 & C-130.

The C-47 "Goonie" takes the cake though...

The "Buff" is one of maybe 5 other USAF aircraft that can be called "legendary" in terms of service life.

I wonder when the last C-47/R4D/DC3 variant left government service? The Air Corps adopted the C-47 in 1941 and I found one used by NASA, under military colors, through 1984. Wikipedia says a C-47T is still in use by the 16th Special Operations Wing but in checking Air Force websites it does not show up in the aircraft inventories. Some other nations still have them in military service. Does anyone know of one still in US service?

I wonder when the last C-47/R4D/DC3 variant left government service? The Air Corps adopted the C-47 in 1941 and I found one used by NASA, under military colors, through 1984. Wikipedia says a C-47T is still in use by the 16th Special Operations Wing but in checking Air Force websites it does not show up in the aircraft inventories. Some other nations still have them in military service. Does anyone know of one still in US service?

So far as I am aware, there aren't any more Goonie birds flying under USAF military colors. There were still many many in regular service up through the late 1970s - early 1980s.

At this point in time, roughly 100 other nations do still use the aircraft militarily to some degree from what I can tell.

Link see:

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/skytrain.htm

Don't forget about the venerable KC-135/RC-135/E-3! Also, even though it has had a dogged record, the C-5A is going on 30 years shortly and with the C-5M, it's gonna be around a while.

-Ski

Don't forget about the venerable KC-135/RC-135/E-3! Also, even though it has had a dogged record, the C-5A is going on 30 years shortly and with the C-5M, it's gonna be around a while.

-Ski

I think you're right about that tanker... especially now that we won't be having her replacement any time soon.

And that C-5 is no slouch either... it was JUST being activated at the end of my hitch.

I think you're right about that tanker... especially now that we won't be having her replacement any time soon.

And that C-5 is no slouch either... it was JUST being activated at the end of my hitch.

The KC-135 has been in service with the United States Air Force since 1957 and the C-5 since since 1969, giving them service lives (so far) of 51 and 39 years.

I was working for a member of the House Armed Services Committee back in the days when it was popular to attack the military for such things as expensive toilets and tools for aircraft. Of course, people didn't bother to consider the costs of designing, tooling and making custom aircraft parts and tools that would only be used in a relatively small amount of aircraft, nor did they consider how much longer many things last in the military service than in the civilian world. These aircraft are a prime example as are such things as the USS Kitty Hawk, now being decommissioned 47 years after it was commissioned.

As collectors we know all too well how field gear produced in WWII was still being used in the 1960's, that the he primary infantry rifle of the United States military entered Army service in 1964. And going aboard many military bases is often like going back in time with all of the very old structures still in use. At Fort Leavenworth they still use a house built in 1832 and former cavalry stables built more than 100 years ago are still used for everything except stabling horses. Here in San Diego you can look across the bay toward North Island Naval Air Station and hangers and other buildings that have been in service since the 1930's.

Some of the services seemingly change uniform styles at the drop of a hat, but overall you have to give the military credit for extending service lives well beyond anything the designers had intended or imagined.

Very well stated.

Thank you.

The KC-135 has been in service with the United States Air Force since 1957 and the C-5 since since 1969, giving them service lives (so far) of 51 and 39 years.

I was working for a member of the House Armed Services Committee back in the days when it was popular to attack the military for such things as expensive toilets and tools for aircraft. Of course, people didn't bother to consider the costs of designing, tooling and making custom aircraft parts and tools that would only be used in a relatively small amount of aircraft, nor did they consider how much longer many things last in the military service than in the civilian world. These aircraft are a prime example as are such things as the USS Kitty Hawk, now being decommissioned 47 years after it was commissioned.

As collectors we know all too well how field gear produced in WWII was still being used in the 1960's, that the he primary infantry rifle of the United States military entered Army service in 1964. And going aboard many military bases is often like going back in time with all of the very old structures still in use. At Fort Leavenworth they still use a house built in 1832 and former cavalry stables built more than 100 years ago are still used for everything except stabling horses. Here in San Diego you can look across the bay toward North Island Naval Air Station and hangers and other buildings that have been in service since the 1930's.

Some of the services seemingly change uniform styles at the drop of a hat, but overall you have to give the military credit for extending service lives well beyond anything the designers had intended or imagined.