My first set of dolphins - repair

This was my first set of dolphins that I had pinned on. Over the years one of the pins broke off and I ended up putting these away and replacing them with another. I came across them in a box of my old military stuff and I'd like to repair them if possible. Does anyone know how to correctly reattach the broken pin?

I was also thinking about engraving my name and qual date on the back. I'm fairly artistic and have a hand engraver but is there a better alternative to get it done like some of the older medals with the fancy engraving?

post-109234-0-61290000-1472135315_thumb.jpg

post-109234-0-16518600-1472135323_thumb.jpg

A jeweler can re-attach that nail for you, or you can try super glue. I've used super glue but only for badges that needed two nails to mount in a display. I don't know how the super glue would work on a badge that was going to be worn.

I probably won't wear them as I have several others if I ever need them. Since these were my original set I want to restore them mainly for posterity's sake (hopefully at least one of my kids will care enough). I had thought about superglue but I'd rather have a more permanent fix.

I hadn't even thought about a jeweler. One of my dad's good friends is a jeweler. I'll see if he can fix it. Thanks for the advice!

my guess is that soldering it will discolor the badge.

I would use a tiny ball of "JB Weld" and stick it back on.

As strong as a weld and won't discolor or damage anything.

just use a tiny, tiny piece. it doesn't take much and you don't want it to ooze out.

if some does.. just clean it off immediately and I would bet you won't even be able to see the repair when done.

my guess is that soldering it will discolor the badge.

I would use a tiny ball of "JB Weld" and stick it back on.

As strong as a weld and won't discolor or damage anything.

just use a tiny, tiny piece. it doesn't take much and you don't want it to ooze out.

if some does.. just clean it off immediately and I would bet you won't even be able to see the repair when done.

I would agree with this plan of action; despite the costs and possibility that any heat applied to the badge now would probably change the appearance of the finish, JB Weld is cheap and would make a secure repair, providing you mix the two parts correctly (equally) and let it set for 24 hours. As the surface area is quite small, I would still avoid any strenuous type of wear/use, as only a small amount of "weld" is really holding the pin in place.

Good luck!