Gothic line - passo del giogo, Scarperia ITALY

Jamecharles

A WWII open-air museum of the Gothic Line battles of September 1944

vehicles, tanks, equipment, and reenactors

Date: 20-21 September 2008

We are now approaching the fourth edition of this event. Last year, thanks also to the beautiful weather, thousands of people came to visit our open-air museum setup at the historic location of the Giogo Pass. It was a well-deserved reward for the organizers as well as the participants and Institutions which supported our project over the years.

Also the 2008 edition of “A Jump into History”, taking place as usual at the historic location of the Giogo Pass, just behind the Mount Altuzzo. will be a new opportunity to show a wide audience how re-enacting and collecting can contribute to preserving the memory of our past, keeping alive interest in the history of our communities. At the same time, we hope it will be the occasion for enjoying a weekend sharing our passion with fellow hobbyists.

This September our plan for “A Jump Into History” includes the additional feature of enjoying a fully guided tour of the place. A speaker will guide visitors throughout the several scenes explaining the historical background of our event as well as illustrating specific exhibits. Also, the experience of being fully immersed in a living history event will be enriched by new special effects, including a spectacular pyrotechnic exhibition.

We are confident our event at the Giogo Pass may be a useful contribution to setting good standards on the Italian WWII reenacting scene, with the objective of furthering the knowledge of the history of our Country during those fateful years.

The past edition was the sunny one, as all of you who were with us in 2005 and 2006 know, the powers that be have determined that realism – for Northern Apennines reenacting – necessarily implies horrible weather conditions. The event is scheduled for September 20-21, 2008. However, as was the case last year, dates are subject to confirmation on Monday, based on the weather forecast for the picked days, in case it is found advisable to postpone the event to the following weekend. But stay assured that if bad weather has to be, also on the last weekend of September, we will be there, mud and all!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

dsc01941copia450x600tk1.th.jpgthpix.gifdsc01952copia450x600mp7.th.jpg

thpix.gifdsc02137450x600rt2.th.jpgthpix.gifdsc02142450x600fk7.th.jpgthpix.gifdsc02144600x450ep8.th.jpgthpix.gifdsc02145450x600jy2.th.jpgthpix.gif

why there was also the Airborne??

Try to ask it to Spielberg an Hanks.... damned movie lover pinch.gif

(ps: i'm the guy that wear the makinaw / 3rd ID helmet)

Thats a pretty convincing 3rd ID helmet that guy has....is it real??....mike....( great stuff by the way!!!)

My 3rd ID helmet is a korean war painted but looks like a ww2 :D the only difference is the ''size'' of the square :D

you have a great sight :D

anyway i use only original uniform and equipment to reenact... i know i'm totally crazy :D but i feel something different when i wear them.

w00t.gif:lol:pinch.gif

Only one....problem.... The U.S. 3rd Infantry Division wasn't in the Gothic Line engagement. By the time this engagement was taking place they were hundreds of miles away in France fighting for the City of Besancon. thumbdown.gif:unsure:pinch.gif:blink:

Also to the untrained eye you be right in thinking that it looks World War II but, thats definitely right off the bad a Korean era insignia on your helmet.

V/R,

FRISCAN

Hi all, thanks to my friend Jamecharles (GC, what a nickname ;) ) for opening the topic here, and thanks to all others who commeted, some of which I know from other forums.

here are links to a short report with photos for this year's edition of our event

Giogo 2008

Reports and photos of previous editions may be found at

Giogo 2007

Giogo 2006

Giogo 2005

Coming back to this September, a short video taken by one in the audience can be seen at

video by audience

The "GI" who emerges from the smoke screen and talks towards the "German" positions is one of our group who realized belatedly he had flunked out, as he found himself under the aim of two MG's and several K98's...

Here instead is a film made in the vein of vintage Signal Corps footage.

Video by Clemente San Remo group

Please understand this was improvised on the spot, an unplanned part of our event. No previous screenplay, no rehearsals, no nothing. So, as they say “all mistakes are the reenactors' fault, not the filmmaker's”.

I wish to thank “gesticola” of the Clemente San Remo Reenacting Group for his effort in filming and editing the movie. In view of the complete lack of planning for the video, I think he accomplished a great job. If you ever had the chance of viewing unedited Signal Corps footage, or are familiar with the reenacted parts in John Houston’s “The Battle of San Pietro”, you know what I mean.

Hope you enjoy viewing it.

Only one....problem.... The U.S. 3rd Infantry Division wasn't in the Gothic Line engagement. By the time this engagement was taking place they were hundreds of miles away in France fighting for the City of Besancon. thumbdown.gif:unsure:pinch.gif:blink:

Also to the untrained eye you be right in thinking that it looks World War II but, thats definitely right off the bad a Korean era insignia on your helmet.

V/R,

FRISCAN

cm'on Friscan i know! but i've tried my new set in 3rd iD uniform...anyway, better than the airborne :S