use of the GI mess kit was obsolete by 1967 for sanitary reasons

BOLO

i started on c-rations and we used the cans only to eat out. of to save weight and space in the packs .. and a little heat from the jeep or trucks engine to heat up the can or use with a small camping stove set up that we bought on own to heat cans or a cup of coffee up in the field .. by the time i left the army the they where giveing us mre meals ..i learned to use a small camping stove to heat up the ration and coffee water as need

the only time we got paper plates was in the field and they bought hot chow out to use to eat ..

Spathologist

Joined in '86, and the only thing I ever used a mess kit for was heating pogey bait that didn't come in a metal container.

And those smoke stacks on the immersion heaters made *great* multi-stage rockets!

C's with a hole or 2 in the top ,from a P-38 set on an engine heats up perfectly, M-151, M-35, or best an M-37. Just don't leave them on to long or forget to put a few holes in them. :thumbdown:

BTW , pound cake and a can of peaches were hard to beat :thumbsup:

What was the old joke about early MRE's?....IIRC......"Meals Rejected by Ethiopians" and the meat patties were called "Track Pads"?

We had No mess kits in RVN in 72, even in the bush with contact teams working on SF equipment.

i like the c-rations better than the the mre for there was somethings that i wished that they had carried over to the mre..you learned to cook with a c-ration can and could cook a meal in the can and heat the coffee water as need ..

i remember that at one time you could not use the water from the mre meal that you had just heated up for it would give the case of the gi runs..

if i remember that right..

my son bought home a case of the new mre meals from the air force and the new ones are like night and day and he got a couple of the first stike rations pack they are like night and day to the stuff that we had..