Nice M1 Carbine bayonet

Rylan

Hey Guys,

I wanted to post some pictures of my only M1 Carbine bayonet. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself could tell me more about it. It's in really great shape :-)

Thanks!

post-3172-0-00973300-1471806060_thumb.jpg

post-3172-0-38272100-1471806072_thumb.jpg

post-3172-0-60209600-1471806075_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Nice M4. Camillus made about 330,000 during WWII. Yours was made before February 1945 since it has tapered pins in the latch plate. The entwined SP on the latch plate indicates that it was made by Standard Products Co. Most M4 makers used Standard Products to make the latch plate. The Flaming Bomb on the end of the cross guard is a proof mark given to all US bayonets during WWII, the Johnson bayonet notwithstanding. Go to http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_8.htm and read about other versions that Camillus made over the years.

The scabbard is very nice too. The metal throat says USM8, which is from 1943-1944. It was originally intended for the M3 Trench Knife. The military changed the web portion by making it longer and adding the double belt hook. Even though yours says M8, the official designation is M8A1. Beckwith Manufacturing Co. used the left over M8 metal parts and installed the new web gear. Later, the new M8A1 lettering was used on the metal throat. The VP40 molded into the body of the scabbard is believed to be a mold number and not a date. The VP stands for Victory Plastics. I have a scabbard with a VP3 mark. Congratulations. Keep in mind, you'll need more of these.

Marv

Thanks for all the info Marv! Yes I do have a carbine but I think I have a broken extractor spring so it doesn't function well anymore :-/

Thanks, but I'm in Canada. I think the US has laws regarding the export of gun parts. Makes things a bit problematic.

Also, due to canadian laws the barrel had to be changed to 18.5" so I can't even put the bayonet on the gun.... lol

Thanks, but I'm in Canada. I think the US has laws regarding the export of gun parts. Makes things a bit problematic.

Yes there are specific restrictions on certain items. IMHO, you shouldn't have a problem with ordering a spring. For me, it at least would be worth looking into.