U.S.S. Enterprise (CV-6) Flight Deck Planking

Pudgy (V)

I purchased this a few years ago from a collector. It is an actual piece of the Enterprise's flight deck. I do have other paper work to go along with it, I just have to locate it. How could the government scrap the most decorated ship in US history? Has anyone ever seen something like this?

Thanks

Dave

post-151853-0-14827400-1471577603_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-85781900-1471577614_thumb.jpg

That is quite a ornate planks owners monument, pretty cool. Looks larger then you typically see, I personally have not seen one this large and containing that much information. Great piece of history.

Wow, that is pretty cool!! It's a honor to own it. I wonder if there are a lot of these around. Mine has part of the runway coating still on it. I know, I don't understand their reasoning for scrapping it. It makes zero sense. I believe for a short time, it was the only aircraft carrier we had that functioned.

Does anyone have any other relics from the Enterprise? It would be great to see some of it, including photos. It certain deserves a post here if it hasn't been done already.

• 9 months later...

I have one just like the one first shown. It looks like the real deal to me.

Spruce, not teak, as it flexed a bit for landings. Came from a VB or VS-6

gunner named White. Having a senior moment with the last name.

Happy Monday,

Owen

Here is one of my favorite Enterprise souvenirs. The man who kept it was an original plank owner that served on her until the end of 1942. ( The newspaper article should say 1942 , not 1945 ). he kept the shrapnel as a souvenir.

01b249fa8e27b8e7bb0b4edb978a8e913f16086b34.jpg

011f4ec01929660f343fd3f50ed8edd5aa6b58d8e0.jpg