Need Switches for Early P-38 Control Wheel

Swifter

Hello all:

I have nice early P-38 control wheel that I would like to obtain original switches for (microphone in the center hub; gun and cannon).

The relevant pages of the AN-01-75-4A "Parts Catalog" for P-38s and F-5s (which happens to include the early style wheel) identifies the part number for the switches (literally) as "1230". The manufacturer is given as "Audio Products". Both of these data bits are too generic to be useful in an online search. The microphone switch P/N is given as 233771....also not very useful. That 's why I'm hoping someone on this site might own a complete early wheel and be willing to take some detailed photos or......long shot.....someone might have spare switches. The photos below (not my wheel) illustrate the gun/cannon switches and where the MIC switch is in the center hub. Thought I'd give this a whirl...... Thanks.

post-162703-0-79789100-1471568966_thumb.jpg post-162703-0-11614700-1471568982_thumb.jpg

I came across a book a while ago that showed the cockpits of WWII planes. I guarantee they have a picture of a P38. I also thought some of the museums had virtual online viewing of their cockpits. I know the Udvar-Hazy Smithsonian has a P38 that Richard Bong flew, might want to try there. Might not hurt to call them and ask if they have pictures of the cockpit they could send you by email if you can't view it virtually. Hope those ideas help.

Try the following sources for parts:

aviation-antiques.com

garciaaviation.com

warbird-parts.com

b-17airdepot.com

My thanks to all who have replied with suggestions so far. Much appreciated.

northocoastaero: Though I've been on the above sites before....it's certainly worth considering making some phone calls. They may not have all they have available listed on their site. Thank you....

northcoastaero

I am almost certain that aviation-antiques.com sold incomplete P-38 wheels in the past and could obtain the rest of the parts. garciaaviation.com may have some parts in storage. The other sources may be able to point you in the right direction if they do not have the parts. flighthelmet.com and magnum-aero.com and barnstormers.com may have some of the parts that you are looking for also.

You're right about Curtiss @ Aviation Antiques. I bought several control wheels from him years ago that are in my collection. He told me the last early style P38 wheel he sold had dummy switches installed. I should have purchased it at the time. Much of the inventory on his site has been there a LONG time. Though I know he occasionally posts some new items. Don't know the extent to which he has "stuff" that isn't on his website....but have emailed him....and some of the others. Will see where it leads.

Thanks again.

Nick