The Globe & Anchor Tavern is no more

Bob Hudson

Just across the freeway from me, next to a favorite bodega/taco shop is - or was - the building used as the Globe and Anchor Tavern in the Clint Eastwood film Heartbreak Ridge. It was closed several years ago, but it remained as a crumbling artifact of the movie.

Ten days ago it was leveled. It had been in that building sice the mid-1950's and had been owned by a succession of retired Marines from nearby Camp Pendleton. In the 50's it would have been kind of a roadhouse on a country road. The world has grown up around it since then and apparently someone has plans for the dirt lot left behind.

Back in the day:

orig.jpeg

Can you tell the Marines were there?

int.jpeg

Guess Gunny Highway is drinkin' elsewhere.

IMG_3519.JPG

Many a memory there, sucks that yet another iconic establishment has gone the way of the Dodo. I wonder what happened to the memorabilia contained therein? Had several hail and farewells there, as well as a few Echo Co, 2 RTBN reunions. I suppose it was only a matter of time.

Semper,

Ski

Just another bench-mark of the passage of time. Sucks. Being mostly an East Coast Marine, I never had the pleasure. Know I would have loved it! Semper Fidelis, Marines! Bobgee

If I'd have known, I would have gone over on demolition day, grabbed some boards from the place and started selling pieces of them on ebay :)

If I'd have known, I would have gone over on demolition day, grabbed some boards from the place and started selling pieces of them on ebay :)

What happened to all of the stuff on the walls?

• 11 months later...

Update!

Has anyone found out what happened to all the memorabilia and stuff from the tavern?

I've never heard anything, but oftentimes things like this go straight a VFW POST or some such place: whether they ever get displayed again, I don't know, but i suspect there's some interesting boxes being stored somewhere around here.

By the way, the site is now a huge expansion lot for a used van dealer (they do sell cars, but mostly white cargo vans of all types).

I've never heard anything, but oftentimes things like this go straight a VFW POST or some such place: whether they ever get displayed again, I don't know, but i suspect there's some interesting boxes being stored somewhere around here.

By the way, the site is now a huge expansion lot for a used van dealer (they do sell cars, but mostly white cargo vans of all types).

You know this kinda reminds of that poignant scene in The Right Stuff, the scene at that bar out in the desert where all the test pilot guys from the base go to and hang out at (Sancho's or Pancho's?). It's now sometime in the 60s, remember, a fire starts and it burns down, and all that USAAF/USAF related memorabilia, model planes, insignias, model figures of pilots, flight gear stuff, framed photos from the years gone by, we see going up in flames.

You know this kinda reminds of that poignant scene in The Right Stuff, the scene at that bar out in the desert where all the test pilot guys from the base go to and hang out at (Sancho's or Pancho's?). It's now sometime in the 60s, remember, a fire starts and it burns down, and all that USAAF/USAF related memorabilia, model planes, insignias, model figures of pilots, flight gear stuff, framed photos from the years gone by, we see going up in flames.

That was Pancho Barnes (a female civilian), place "The Happy Bottom Riding Club". It was a local watering hole for Edwards AFB back in the late 40's and early 50's. Too bad it couldn't be saved for the Air Force museum or for NASA like the Plaque Bar from NAS Cubi P.I. that is now at Pensacola FL.

That was Pancho Barnes (a female civilian), place "The Happy Bottom Riding Club". It was a local watering hole for Edwards AFB back in the late 40's and early 50's. Too bad it couldn't be saved for the Air Force museum or for NASA like the Plaque Bar from NAS Cubi P.I. that is now at Pensacola FL.

Thanks Lee that's it, funny, the real place burned down in 1953, in the movie it seemed like it was the early 60s right, some license there for sure, then again they had Jack Ridley (Levon Helm) still alive in the early 60s right, and we know he was tragically killed way before that in a transport plane crash in 1957 in Japan. Still a great film, with some great Stuff, The Right Stuff.