You've Come a Long Way Baby - 12 USAF Nurses trained by NASA in1973 for Space Flight

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

Wouldn't fly today, but.....

Patch from the first 12 USAF Nurses who passed the NASA astronaut training course in 1973 although they were never cleared for space flight

NASA First 12 RN Astronauts 1973 001.jpg

NASA First 12 RN Astronauts 1973 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Just stating the obvious without getting into a point-counterpoint discussion on interpretation and/or correctness. Sexism, either real or perceived, in slogans, mottoes, heraldry, publications etc is taboo today within the military and federal agencies.

It was based on an old advertising slogan for a very successful campaign for Virginia Slims cigarettes. It managed to work itself into common usage to refer to the progress women were making with new and expanded roles in society. As I recall it wasn'the considered derogatory at the time and depending on the topic even complimentary.

It was based on an old advertising slogan for a very successful campaign for Virginia Slims cigarettes. It managed to work itself into common usage to refer to the progress women were making with new and expanded roles in society. As I recall it wasn't considered derogatory at the time and depending on the topic even complimentary.

Gil,

I agree. I remember when this slogan was around. I guess I am showing my age. HAHAHAHA! I still don't view it as derogatory.

It is a nice patch.....Kat

• 4 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Some provenance on the origin of this patch and nice service history on one of these pioneers

Lorraine Clare Schoen

One of 12 Air Force nurses who NASA tested in 1973 to help set medical standards for candidates for flight on the Space Shuttle. First Lieutenant, USAFR, 65th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, Travis AFB, California; R.N., Englewood Hospital School of Nursing, New Jersey; employed at Travis AFB.

Link above has a photo of the Group Patch.  The photo below is from spacefacts website - First 12 USAF Nurses training with NASA for space flight, 1973

First 12 NASA USAF Nurses 001.jpg

NASA First 12 RN Astronauts 1973 001.jpg

NASA First 12 RN Astronauts 1973 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor
On 5/10/2021 at 11:17 AM, Mr.Jerry said:

Cool. Now where do I get one of those (no doubt polyester) uniforms?

Pretty Groovy utility belts and pouches.  Definitely Polyester jumpsuits and probably Sky Blue too

Somewhere out there is a color photograph of these Air Force Nurses in their NASA uniforms.

Salvage Sailor

I really felt it was necessary to pull together the bits and pieces of information on the web to identify these 12 Air Force Nurses who NASA tested in 1973 to help set medical standards for candidates for flight on the Space Shuttle, yet they were never cleared for space flight.

First Lieutenant Felicia M. Benton, USAFR

benton_felicia.jpg

Birthdate:     23.06.1946
Birthplace:     Macon, Georgia
First Lieutenant, USAFR, 65th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, Travis AFB, California; graduate of Macon Hospital School of Nursing, Macon, Georgia.

First Lieutenant Francas F. Cappa, USAFR, Vietnam Veteran

cappa_frances.jpg

Birthdate:     01.02.1941
Birthplace:     Portland, Oregon
First Lieutenant, USAFR, 40th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, McChord AFB, Washington; on active duty in Vietnam, 1972; Bachelor of Arts in social sciences, Seattle (Washington) University, Bachelor of Science in nursing, University of Oregon Medical School, Employed at Permanente-Kaiser, Portland, Oregon.

Captain Sylvia K. DeJong, USAFR. Vietnam Veteran

dejong_sylvia.jpg

Birthdate:     12.09.1944
Birthplace:     Grand Rapids, Michigan
Captain, USAFR, 65th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, Travis AFB, California; on active duty in Vietnam, !970-71; graduate of Iowa Lutheran School of Nursing, Des Moines; employed at U.C. Medical Center, San Francisco.

Captain Carrol Lee French, USAFR

french_carrol.jpg

Birthdate:     14.09.1938
Birthplace:     Newport, Oregon
Captain, USAFR, 40th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, McChord AFB, Washington; graduate of the provenance School of Nursing in Portland, associate degree, Miami Dade Junior College, Miami, Florida; Bachelor of Arts, Portland State University.

First Lieutenant Judith A. Keeton, USAFR

keeton_judith.jpg

Birthdate:     14.04.1947
Birthplace:     Franklin, Pennsylvania
First Lieutenant, USAFR, 68th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, Norton AFB, California; graduate of Los Angeles County General Hosp., nursing.

First Lieutenant Bonnie L. Kultgen, USAFR

kultgen_bonnie.jpg

Birthdate:     11.10.1949
Birthplace:     Liethridge, Alberta, Canada
First Lieutenant, USAFR, 68th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, Norton AFB, California; graduate of Sacred Heart School of Nursing, Spokane, Washington, diploma in coronary care nursing from County General Hospital, San Bernadino, California; employed at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, California.

Second Lieutenant Marcia R. Pack, USAFR

pack_marcia.jpg

Birthdate:     17.11.1946
Birthplace:     Idaho Falls, Idaho
Second Lieutenant, USAFR, 40th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, McChord AFB, Washington; graduate of Holy Hospital, Salt Lake City, where she is now employed.

Captain Evelyn Jean Parks, USAFR

parks_jean.jpg

Birthdate:     01.08.1941
Birthplace:     Elmhurst, Illinois
Day of death:     28.02.2018
Place of death:     West Seattle, Washington
Captain, USAFR, 40th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, USAFR, McChord AFB, Washington; received diploma in nursing from the Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Florida., Bachelor of Science in nursing, University of Illinois, Chicago, Master of Arts in nursing, University of Washington, Seattle.

First Lieutenant Kathleen Queiser, USAF

queiser_kathleen.jpg

Birthdate:     21.09.1948
Birthplace:     Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
First Lieutenant, USAF, NC, active duty, Cannon Air Force Hospital, Cannon AFB, New Mexico; nursing diploma from St. Francis Hospital School of Nursing, New Castle, Pennsylvania.

First Lieutenant Lorraine Clare Schoen, USAFR

schoen_lorraine.jpg

Birthdate:     12.09.1948
Birthplace:     Jersey City, New Jersey
First Lieutenant, USAFR, 65th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, Travis AFB, California; R.N., Englewood Hospital School of Nursing, New Jersey; employed at Travis AFB.

First Lieutenant Marina Van de Graaff, USAFR

van-de-graaff_marina.jpg

Birthdate:     11.07.1950
Birthplace:     Ogden, Utah
First Lieutenant, USAFR, 40th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, McChord AFB, Washington; Bachelor of Science in nursing, Webster State College, Ogden, Utah, where she is was working toward her Bachelor of Arts in social work; employed at St. Benedicts Hospital, Ogden, Utah

Captain Lucinda Zimmer, USAF

zimmer_lucinda.jpg

Birthdate:     11.10.1941
Birthplace:     Lancaster, Wisconsin
Captain, USAF, NC, active duty, Air Force Hospital, Little Rock AFB; diploma from Mercy Hospital School of Nursing, Dubuque, Iowa.

usaf_nurses.jpg