M3 Half track Drivers training

fordmustanggt_350

fordmustanggt_350

Hello,

I am searching for any reference material on what it took to get your military drivers licence for the M3 half track during WWII. Is there an manual out there or a description which specifically lays out what a driver had to do to get certified? Any help is appreciated!

Respectfully,

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

The M3 halftrack was basically a heavy truck with a tracked rear. If you know how to drive an old grain truck, you can drive a halftrack. The secret to being able to drive one is to know how to "double clutch" when shifting gears.

In WWII, driver training was the same for soldiers whether they were driving a Dodge 6 x 6 or a White M3.

Allan

I agree entirely, and my recent 342nd halftrack model's subject definitely drove both. His photo album had a picture of his 6x6, and another of his M2 Haltrack.

Additionally, I had a 10th Armored uniform, and his family listed his MOS on the WWII Memorial's website, and it basically said "heavy truck" even though I'm sure he drove a halftrack.

So, let me ask this, after acknowledging that once you got in theater, you often drove what they told you to drive, was there a separate MOS for halftrack drivers?

The simple answer regarding MOS's is that if driving was your primary duty, you would get an MOS of a truck driver. It didn't matter what type of truck you drove. In most cases, being a halftrack, jeep, motorcycle, tank, or other driver was a duty and thus not the soldier's primary specialty. Tank drivers were trained to be gunners, loaders, etc. so they would wear armor brass. Halftrack drivers in Infantry units would wear infantry brass. Drivers in AAA units would wear Coast Artillery brass. Medics driving halftracks would wear medical brass. USUALLY, the only soldiers wearing Transportation brass were assigned to Trans units, or they took on Trans planning functions at the higher command levels.

Allan

My father was a dispatch rider when first in the army in 42, when they did away with dispatch riders he switched to M-3 driver. Lost his first to mine right after Bulge, and used a 6X6 until a new M-3 could be issued. Said little training involved as to drivers, sent him to mechanics school at Ft.Knox which he said was a nice break from Ft. Polk and the desert training. He loved his bikes though and rode till his late 70"s. He served with the 56th Armored Engineer Bn. 11th AD.

I guess it remains the same. I was taught to drive a straight-cut gear '52 five ton by being put in the cab and driving in convoy for 100+ miles. I caught on to the 'double clutching' after a few miles. This was in 1972 so perhaps those days are now gone.