B-17 Pilots wing. Mfg help

walt323

post-3685-1222025394.jpg

post-3685-1222025376.jpg

I picked up these wings from a local estate of a pilot who flew B-17s in the 351st Bomb Group. The makers mark has been partially polished off. I can make out G F on the side by the pin. They are well marked sterling on the back of the shield. The pin and roll catch are very heavy duty on these also. These are full size 3 inch wings. Any help on the maker would be appreciated.

post-3685-1222028533.jpg

I think you are right. Looking at them closer the E has been Made into an F. Anyways here is a pic of the original owner. Lt. James Tebbel 509th BS. Thanks

FightenIrish35
post-3685-1222028533.jpg

I think you are right. Looking at them closer the E has been Made into an F. Anyways here is a pic of the original owner. Lt. James Tebbel 509th BS. Thanks

Looks like he was a straight up Bad rump in his day lol...nice find they look good thumbsup.gif

These are a classic GEMSCO pattern that have been worn down a bit. I always felt that these were early, pre-war made wings because of the large style pin and catch. Here is one without the worn down makers mark.

Patrick

post-1519-1222099085.jpg

These are a classic GEMSCO pattern that have been worn down a bit. I always felt that these were early, pre-war made wings because of the large style pin and catch. Here is one without the worn down makers mark.

Patrick

Thanks for the picture. I definitely think that is a match. Here is another photo that came along with them.

post-3685-1222119030.jpg

Jeez Walt you really scored!! Do you typically research things like this? I think it would be fun.

John

Usually I do research the groupings I purchase. There is not much to do with this one. I purchased several manuals and books from the vets estate also. One of The books was Roger Freemans 8th AF book. The vet had gone thru it and marked all of the missions he had flown includung one of the Munster raids where he was awarded the DFC for bringing back his badly shot up a/c. I may request his records to try and get some more details is about all. Another interesting thing I picked up at this sale was a copy of the first vol. of The Hump Pilots assn. book. It turned out to be the personal copy of Robbie Robertson, one of the CNAC pilots who was very active in the group. It appears by the inscription, he gave it to this B-17 pilot as a gift. I did miss a few good things, it was one of those sales when financial constraints came into play.