105mm Artillery shell and projectile

Tino

Hi guys,

I found the shell and projectile at different times and was wondering if this would be a correct set up and hopefully get some more information on the pieces

The shell is marked ' 105mm M14 type 1' and has a 1943 date.

I couldn't find any markings on the projectile.

Thanks,

Tino

post-176-0-41869000-1471279111_thumb.jpg

HE and shrapnel rounds should be solid at the bottom. The rotating band should be solid brass perhaps it was painted over. The fuse looks like an early VT fuse but I'm not savy on older fuses, I only know what I used when I was in and it looks like a variable time fuse. Nice '43 dated casing. The '45 date 105mm shell I have has a solid bottom and is an HE round. They made all sorts of munitions with color designations. It maybe a WP round or illumination round. Obviously it's been repainted which is not at all uncommon. Does the round seat inside the casing OK? It seems from the picture that it just isn't seated flush, if you are having trouble doing this, just seat the projectile as centered as you can and raise the casing/projectile and gently tap it to the ground and the round will seat itself. Looks like a nice round. I have an affinity for shells as of recently. As an artillery Marine myself they have always intrigued me. Hopefully someone can provide better insight than my limited knowledge.

Semper Fi

I always seem to pick up the oddball stuff lol

There are no numbers or other information on the fuse.

The casing is out of round a little bit but I am sure the round will seat nicely in the shell.

I tried to read up on the projectile but couldn't find the one pictured.

Thanks again for the help!

Tino

The fuze is a MTSQ (Mech Time Super Quick). The projectile dosent make sense. The hole in the base has no threads. The hole is to small to be a dissenter type round. The ones that eject flares, sub-munitions and propaganda all have a base that is held on by shear pins. The base pops off and spills the contents. This hole wouldn't work because the centrifugal force from rotation skaters the stuff in side. This opening has an internal "lip" that wouldn't allow anything to fly out. Hole is to small. PlusThere are no shear pins holes around the base. The hole is professional done so it leads me to believe one of two things. Chemical rounds are filled by use of filler holes, but this round is missing the burster adapter that is on all chemical rounds. Plus the hole is not threaded.

Either some one put the hole in it to demil it, or it was made on a lathe. There should be some stamped marks in the round some where and there are none evident. It dosent look to have been fired because the rotating bands are not scored. I can't tell if the rotating bands are brass or not. Looks like it was milled to look like it had a rotating band.

It just don't make sense.

Smitty

• 3 years later...

Hi everybody, I'm a newby to the forum, but stumbled upon this posting while trying to figure out what the heck I recently purchased. I have now figured it out with the help of Bulletpicker.com/cartridge_-105mm-dummy_-m14.html and wanted share this with you.

The projectile posted at the top of this thread is part of a 105mm M14 Drill Cartridge. It is completely inert and never meant to be fired. The casing depicted and the projectile do not belong together. The correct casing, stamped DRILL CARTRIDGE M14 is quite different and is designed to work in conjunction only with the dummy projectile. More information regarding this shell can be found in TM 9-1904 starting on page 479. A link to the TM can be found in the website above. The fuze is an actual M54 T&SQ but is rendered non-functional.

The only thing still perplexing me are the letters CKM stamped on the bottom of both the projectile and the casing that I have. This code does not appear on any Headstamp listings that I have been able to review. I assume this is a manufacturer code, but thus far have not been able to verify that. Being that this is essentially a training device, it may well have been manufactured by a machine shop versus a known ammo producer. Any help the group can offer here?

My apologies now, I was going to add some pictures but being new to the group I do not yet know how to upload a picture because of file size restrictions. I'll get that figured out and post a few pictures of my shell.

post-257446-0-68247500-1570130903_thumb.jpg

post-257446-0-32523700-1570130915.jpeg

I'm back with resized pictures. These two depict stamps on the bottom of the casing: DRILL CARTRIDGE M14 can be deciphered in one image and CKM 1944 in the other.

post-257446-0-85788400-1570131060_thumb.jpg

post-257446-0-33660800-1570131194_thumb.jpg

Drill Cartridge and standard 105mm side x side

post-257446-0-02597300-1570131249_thumb.jpg

Inside the casing of the drill cartridge

post-257446-0-18468800-1570132149.jpg

post-257446-0-61711400-1570132160.jpg

The Drill Cartridge cleaned up and painted, although I now understand the projectile should be black with white lettering, oh well...

And now on display with a few other momentos.

Quick assessment, looks by pics copper driving band not present on one. Your M78 fuze should not be painted, nor should the driving band. Should be metal finish. You should have left the one on left with the vintage MTSQ fuze unpainted, hurts value, collectors want original as painted means bondo filled pits. Both cases mismatched, projos stuck in to fill the hole. The AF one is an USAF 105 Gunship crimped case, they came out in 1972 or 74. Both projectiles should have markings half an inch above the driving bands. If none, they are factory assembly line dimensional inspection rejects that escaped the scrap bin or given out to employees for bond drives. The most valuable part is the unmarked MTSQ fuze....my advice, chemically strip the paint off ( use acetone to preserve the vintage finish under neath as before painted) the one with the WW2 MTSQ fuze and put it into a WW2 marked brass case ( about $100 plus minus)....that would be more correct as I believe it is a WW2 M1 HE dimensional reject. WW2 unmessed with 105 rounds bring about $250 plus,display the USAF gunship round solo, and use the one without the driving band as a boat anchor.

• 1 year later...

I have an M14 Dumy Cartridge, 105mm with it's case. The dummy projectile is solid bronze. At the base, around the hole (which is intended as something for the gunner to grip when removing the round from the breech, I find marked (Ord. Flaming bomb stamp), then  "AMM.LOT NO-37-23144-1"  the dummy cartridge case is headstamped 'DRILL CARTRIDGE M14 / 105MM HOWITZER M2/ AMM. LOT NO> 6627-1"  The dummy fuze body is magnetic. I still have two dummy increment charges. A long time ago, I painted the steel case body green. It is not accurate. the case has a bronze lip and case head.

105mm How Drill Ctg.02.jpg

105mm How Drill Ctg.09.jpg

105mm How Drill Ctg.11.jpg

• 1 year later...

Solid bronze.. wow. I have a solid bronze 90mm drill round without a base. If anyone has any idea where I can fine the screw on base for mine, I'm all ears.