Chief Master at Arms

CTI1610

So I found this Ch. M.A.A. rate recently and wonder whether it's a Navy or "middie" rate. It looks legit overall, but the eagle's head and beak bother me. I compared the chevrons, stitching, and fabric against other rates I have from the same era and found no obvious issues. It was a bargain price (also a bit bothersome), so if it isn't legit, no worries. At least I won't have frittered away the rent money on the rate collector's equivalent of a magic bean. Would appreciate comments from those more seasoned than I to help determine whether it's real or not.

Next post will show reverse.

post-5287-0-50005300-1471186849.jpeg

David Minton

I'm leaning toward middle, but I find it tough to say. I looked back at my rates from that period, and I have some 2c and 3c that are similar, though not exactly the same. It definitely doesn't have the typical leaning eagle of the period (if I recall the specialty mark was only used until 1921). I have only seen CPO and 1c in middle packages, and don't believe 2c and 3c were typically used for middies, but could be wrong on this.

If you didn't pay much, be happy. Even if a middle rate, it is probably close to 100 years old. I have a few in my collection I am reasonably sure were sold for middies. I'll keep them until I find better examples (at a reasonable price).

I don't think it's a Middie rate. Those are usually in oddball colors and are easy to distinguish from real Navy rating badges. I wouldn't worry about the shape of the beak or even the eagle as these things were all individually embroidered and there will be some variation on shape. JMHO

• 1 month later...

On the left is a Chief M.A.A. rate I received recently. On the right is the M.A.A. rate that started this thread. Other than saying that I like the eagle on the left far more than the one on the right, and noting that the stars are different sizes, I have no particular insight to offer. Just want to post them side by side for comparison.

post-5287-0-24137700-1474753226_thumb.jpg

I would not worry about the so called middie question. The middy rates were made by the same mfrs that made the regulation rates. Some time in the years shorty after WW1 the eagles heads lowered and the curve of the body went straight. If you look at enough period rates the beaks can be very different. Looks to me like a nice post WW1 example of a nice rate. I am simply not sure why this would be considered a middy rate.