USAAF ww2 C-1 Vest enthusiasts ... questions

Phfly1010

I have a c-1 with about half of the ww2 items. Anybody out there have a photo of what the correct period sharpening stone looks like? Also, what would I expect to pay for the 45 shot shells with nice carton and rounds still sealed in the wax wrapper? Lastly, would appreciate anybody sharing photos they have of pilots wearing the usaaf C-1 vest. Thank you.

northcoastaero

The book United States Combat Aircrew Survival Equipment by Michael S. Breuninger has a couple of pages showing the C-1 vest variations and contents. The sharpening stone appears to be a narrow rectangular one. Are the top front pockets on your vest positioned on a slant or are they upright? The C-1 vest was used by the USAF into the 1960s, until being replaced by the SRU-21/P. Also, I have seen photos of the C-1 vest being used by the USN during Korea.

Top shoulder small pocket slanted inward, rest are straight. Made by Sears. Really want to clarify that it is ok to say this was used by usaaf during ww2, and if so from what I read no real proof of use in ww2 ETO, but some use in ww2 Pacific by Navy/Marine pilots. All the items I've bought for the vest said usaaf. I've ordered the book you referenced. Thanks so much.

Your kind of asking for photographic proof of Big Foot in regards to the ETO and Navy/Marine use. There is a pic floating around of a vest being worn in North Africa by a USAAF fighter pilot but that is a service test sample of a limited number sent to the ETO in 1944. So unless you have one of the original procured service test vests it would not be appropriate for display. The navy did acquire several C-1 vests for evaluation but had zero interest but I will not say you won't find a WWII pic of it use by them in theater just in case but don't hold your breath and even bet a dollar on it. Sounds like you have a late model vest in which I've never seen a pic of one of those being used in WWII only the slant pocket types, deliveries of those were pretty late in the war.