Pattern of 1796 British Officer Gorget

Leatherneck72

Here's a nice gorget I added to my collection. This is the P1796 British Officer gorget washed in a beautiful gold gilt. Hand engraved with "GR" for King George III. This was an American pickup along with the pistol pictured during the War of 1812. Very much en vogue during the 17th and 18th centuries, this was the last gorget pattern authorized for British line officers and was completely discontinued by the early 1830's.

post-1737-0-65241100-1471141647.jpg

post-1737-0-55003300-1471141739.jpg

post-1737-0-78963100-1471141747.jpg

Leatherneck72

Thanks Kev. I still collect mostly Pre-1918 USMC, but I had 3 patriots that fought in the American Revolution and my 6th great-grandfather was the Chief of Scouts for the Roger's Rangers, so I dabble in this time period as well.

Sure wish I had that kind of family history Brian. That definitely makes the collection more meaningful. Is that remnants of red wool on the back of the gorget? I recall paintings of Washington wearing one, although it was likely in the French and Indian Wars when he served for the British.

Yes you nailed it, that was the depiction I was thinking of. Again, great items Brian that make an outstanding display and sooo historical. Thanks again for posting.

Leatherneck72

12A54, Perhaps it belongs in the Battlefield Pickup section. I need to take some close ups of the officer's pistol. The "GR" cypher was filed off as was typical of captured weapons during the War of 1812. The U.S. soldiers didn't like looking down at that oppressive crown stamped on their gear!

It's a great pickup then! Believe it or not, my unit in Germany had a gorget. We sourced a repro blank and mounted the unit DUI (37th Armor) on it and had all the campaign credits engraved on it. It was worn by the "Mr. Vice" (Vice President of the Mess) at Dining Ins and similar ceremonies. Probably the only one still (unofficially of course) in use in the US Army (presuming they carried on that tradition)!

We will leave this in the War of 1812 section. One could argue it belongs in the Spoils of War section, but I think it will get better commentary here.

Thanks gwb123! Sorry if it caused you any extra work.

Not a problem. We often have things that can be put in multiple places.

• 6 months later...