Useage of pre-WW1 USMC uniforms during the interwar years

I've been doing research into what different kinds of uniforms the marines had in WW1 and beyond but from what I've been able to gather is that there were certain times when certain style uniforms were phased out completely and others took their place. Is there any evidence that a pre-WW1 made tunic could've been issued to a marine after WW1 say like in the very late teens-mid twenties? I know later generations of marines were basically given what was available in the arsenal as far as weapons and gear but in the case of post WW1 could this happen with uniforms as well?

Leatherneck72

There are some great written references out there. Start with "Equipping the Corps" by Alec Tulkoff, who happens to be a member on here with the handle "Alec." I do know that the Marine reservists continued to wear the pattern 1912 enlisted cover well into the 1920's. That's just one example of the surplus gear continuing to be used. I'm sure that there will be some great additions to the post that will respond with pictures of exactly what you are asking about.

S/F,

Brian

Thank you Brian for the info. I've been wanting a good USMC uniform from around that time so this research is helping me a lot in learning about when certain uniforms were issued and used. I'll definitely have to look for that book when I get the chance as that'll be a great addition to the library. I hope others will chime in eventually with even more great info.

That is an amazing picture Dirk! Thank you for the great piece of reference. I'm also interested to know if the pre-WW1 khaki tunics were issued that late as well. I read in the references section that the high collar uniform was authorized to be worn until around 1928 so would it be conceivable to think those could've been issued years after the war?