Military Academy Dress Uniforms

Bob Hudson

This is not the kind of thing you expect to find in a Southern California thrift store: A US Military Academy - West Point - cadet's dress uniform coat:

wp.jpg

wpback.jpg

wpleft1.jpg

There is surprisngly little information about these on the web (if it's there, it's way, way down the lists of the search engines). One source says the, "West Point gray cadet uniform, still in use today, was patterned after uniforms worn during the War of 1812..." This style of jacket with the tails was apparently originally known as a "coatee" and has been worn by cadets since 1816. The buttons are called "bullet buttons" and do indeed look like bullets.

• 1 month later...

I later discovered it is not USMA, but a copy used by another military school, although I don't know which one. I think VMI now use distinctive buttons. not the West Point style bullet buttons.

Definitely not VMI. VMI uniforms follow the same basic pattern, but have flat buttons with the state seal of Virginia. Likewise, Citadel uniforms have South Carolina state seal buttons. It could, however, be from any number of military colleges or even high schools.

Not a bad find though, these coats aren't cheap!

• 1 year later...

The present West Point full dress gray coatee is similar to that adopted in the early 1800's. "Cadet Gray" by Frederick Todd is a history of West Point through its uniforms, and shows the slight variations in the Full Dress coat since its adoption. Sometimes the collars were open, sometimes with the stand-up collar, sometimes the shirt-collars were folded over on the outside and sometimes (as now) fastened on the inside of the coat. Sometimes the braiding was straight, and sometimes herringboned. The gold service stripes on the sleeves to indicate the cadet's class did not come in until close to the turn of the last century, iirc.

• 2 years later...
This is not the kind of thing you expect to find in a Southern California thrift store: A US Military Academy - West Point - cadet's dress uniform coat:

wp.jpg

wpback.jpg

wpleft1.jpg

There is surprisngly little information about these on the web (if it's there, it's way, way down the lists of the search engines). One source says the, "West Point gray cadet uniform, still in use today, was patterned after uniforms worn during the War of 1812..." This style of jacket with the tails was apparently originally known as a "coatee" and has been worn by cadets since 1816. The buttons are called "bullet buttons" and do indeed look like bullets.

I have one i found in the house i just bought the pants 38 and the coat says 39 it looks to be in ment condition i found in a trunk with a 1944 bombers jacket and other paper work from that time period so i am trying to find a value on it if you have info. please let me know

• 9 months later...
American Heritage

I thought it was USMA at first but after thinking about where you found it....somewhere in the SD Coastal Empire (love it there!) it could be from the Army Navy Academy at Carlsbad, CA?

• 7 months later...

The present West Point full dress gray coatee is similar to that adopted in the early 1800's. "Cadet Gray" by Frederick Todd is a history of West Point through its uniforms, and shows the slight variations in the Full Dress coat since its adoption. Sometimes the collars were open, sometimes with the stand-up collar, sometimes the shirt-collars were folded over on the outside and sometimes (as now) fastened on the inside of the coat. Sometimes the braiding was straight, and sometimes herringboned. The gold service stripes on the sleeves to indicate the cadet's class did not come in until close to the turn of the last century, iirc.

What century are you in?

• 10 months later...

Any recommendation on what I can do with USMA '51 cadet uniforms in excellent condition? Museum or collector.

Hi Liz

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, unless the uniforms belonged to someone who was notable...e.g. became a general, famous politician, etc., they really aren't worth much. If you'd want to take some photos and post them in the "what's it worth" forum, we'd be happy to help further.

Dave