WWII Beach Invasion Medic Helmet?

Pudgy (V)

I picked this fixed bail helmet up today, and I'm not sure what the markings represent. The paint is on the back of the helmet, would this have been done simular to leadership strips? I have seen where painted arcs were used on the beaches of Normandy. Not sure if this is some sort of medic helmet used during the invasion. Could someone help me?

Thank-you

Dave

post-151853-0-74122300-1471043230_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-80631800-1471043248_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-98682700-1471043261_thumb.jpg

I bought it off of an antique dealer. He purchased it from a closed VFW. The paint definitely looks legit. I wish I knew more about it. I can take better pictures tomorrow in the sunlight if you guys don't like these.

post-151853-0-33846800-1471050957_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-60534900-1471050969_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-92328800-1471050979_thumb.jpg

stealthytyler

Looks good to me but what's with the color of the arc? Would this have been used at Normandy? Never seen a pic on one this small on back of helmet. Anything is possible though.

Looks like another case of shellac being used as a preservative. This was a very popular, albeit bad, technique in the 60's. Since shellac is organic. if the helmet was anywhere near a window where the sun was, you would get that dirty amber/brown look on it from the breaking down of this material. Where the shellac has degraded enough to flake off, you can see the original paint.

I don't think it is shellac. The Red Cross shows no evidence of anything on it, nor can I see any of it anywhere else on the helmet. There isnt even any evidence of it being outside the lines of the arc anywhere. If they were painting shellac on it, there wouldn't be a need to be so particular, you would never see it if it was outside the lines. The paint is old and there are cracks in it if you look at it close in the sunlight. it might have been exposed to sunlight, smoke, nicotine; possible in a display of some sort. Maybe along the lines of what sgtdorando said. Also, the paint is not white, even where it is rubbed.

This reminds me of Gas paint in how thick it looks.

It really reminds me of Korean era airborne tac marks. C'mon SgtDorango, summon a pic from one of your yearbooks showing this helmet climbing on a plane....

I think it's outside the arc it's just very hard to see since it blends with the helmet paint.

I think it stands a chance but very hard to see from these pics IMO.

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice helmet and it was great to see it and hold it. Great it came from VFW. Small world out there. Definitely a keeper in my opinion!! First time I met a fellow forum member...

Yes, nice to met you swmdo. Pretty neat we met in an antique shop in Pa. Thank-you again for your service! I'm glad someone on here got to see it. It is a real treasure! Definitely a one of a kind.

Thanks Pudgy V for talking and showing the helmet to me and the kind words. Yes that was pretty cool and kinda wild since I was tracking on this site and really admired the helmet. Never expected to see it!

Lately the wife and I have been checking out the local French and Indian War trails so we have been visiting battle sites and forts. We always stop in to the local antique shops as part of the deal and seeing the helmet was a bonus. Wish you continued success and again that is a beautiful helmet and worth keeping!

Thank-you so much!! Oh, so you guys were at fort Ligonier? That place is so interesting. Did you see the pistols used by George Washington? I see they are building another building there. I always go that way looking for stuff in those antique shops. The older man I was talking too certainly has some stories. He has had some really cool stuff in his lifetime. Sometimes his prices are high though. I still think that is neat we met. There is a lot of history in those mountains you drove through. One of my friends at work told me the old wagon trails are still visible, and he has walked them. I think that would be neat to see. I hope you liked your visit here!

So you know for sure its good because it came from an antique dealer who said it came from a VFW?

Can we see some better pics?

Pudgy (V) yes we saw the GW pistols there and the outstanding weapons and other F&I war artifacts. We will prob check out more when the weather gets cooler in the fall. Looks like folks would like to see some additional pictures of your helmet.

Looks like another case of shellac being used as a preservative. This was a very popular, albeit bad, technique in the 60's. Since shellac is organic. if the helmet was anywhere near a window where the sun was, you would get that dirty amber/brown look on it from the breaking down of this material. Where the shellac has degraded enough to flake off, you can see the original white.

I second the shellac theory, looks like it has flaked off in spots revealing the true color underneath.

USMC-RECON0321

I second the shellac theory, looks like it has flaked off in spots revealing the true color underneath.

I also agree, first thing I thought of even before reading Scotts post about shellac.

Looks like a nice keeper to me.

The liner that came with the helmet did have a name located on the nape strap. It looks like an A.E. Fritz. Can anyone find out some info on him? Thanks again.