NVA / VC Medal

USAF29thINFvet

USAF29thINFvet

I was recently given this by a interrogator that was assigned to the 9th ID and the 11th ACR. Told me it was taken off a dead VC / NVA soldier after a firefight. Any idea what it is?

My first guess is a tank destruction badge as there is a picture of an American tank in the background.

Thanks

post-777-0-91388900-1471008491.jpg

post-777-0-52660900-1471008499_thumb.jpg

USCapturephotos

Cool piece. I also have an NVA/VC medal brought back by an Americal Division vet. He sent the medal home in a letter to his sister which I also have describing the firefight, the dead vc the medal came from etc. I was going to post it on the forum and now will try to put it up this weekend alongside yours. Hope you find out something about yours.

Paul

USCapturephotos

No need to make another thread I guess. Here is the incredible letter that my GI from the 196 LI Brigade sent home to his sister in Feb. 1969 describing the action and his finding the medal. Thanks for looking and any info. on the medal would be appreciated.

Paul

Here is the one I have. I might make a thread about it as well.

Paul

post-100030-0-26050400-1471357985.jpg

Really nice description - that's probably the best NVA medal I've seen with the associated info. What a great way to honor the vet.

The OP's medal is of the "Heros determine Victory" decorations. These were similar to our valor decorations. There were many types for particular feats, charging enemy position, destroying communication lines, defeating the enemy in combat, etc. You are correct that this is for destroying mechanized equipment. I believe the award is "Heros who destroys mechanized equipment". I guess our silver star sounds more regal. Is the medal plastic or metal? Also, this is a NLF (Viet Cong) medal, not NVA. These awards were for heroic events in regards to the class they were issued.

Hey Woodymyster. Mine is the NLF medal correct? Thanks for your input!

Paul

I have hesitated to comment are your piece as I am not the greatest authority on the subject. Your item would belong to an NVA guy. I would like better pics if you are able, especially of the back. Again, take my comment with a grain of salt...

Your item is reminiscent of an Ho Chi Minh badge rather than a medal. Remember how everyone in China had a Mao badge, or how the early communist party in the Soviet Union wore Lenin badges? This appears to be of the same type, however, I would say by the construction, it is early and it is of better construction than most. You would routinely see these painted black (the red enamel) after his death.

Again, I could be wrong, but it is NVA, and it is not a known NVA war-decoration-merit medal.

USCapturephotos

Very interesting Woodymyster. I have been in touch with the veteran who sent it home this week and told him that hopefully we would get to the bottom of the mystery so thank you for your input. I will post pics of the backside of the badge/medal later today.

Paul

Very interesting Woodymyster. I have been in touch with the veteran who sent it home this week and told him that hopefully we would get to the bottom of the mystery so thank you for your input. I will post pics of the backside of the badge/medal later today.

Paul

Again, I am not saying his story is wrong. The guy could have been a very important party person working with the army staff or an early supporter of the cause. Are you familiar with the the little round, dime size Nazi tinnies that every Nazi party member wore? Its seems anyone involved in the party had one and they can be had for pretty cheap. However, the early ones, the ones that the first 10,000 or so party members had were surrounded by wreaths. It seems only the high ranking members had these as they were part of the movement in the early 30's. I am kinda insinuating the same thing. This is not your run of the mill Ho Chi Minh badge.

However, so little is understood and recorded of the North Vietnam medals that it is very difficult to say that for certain. All I know for certain is that you have a bring back by a USGI with a letter giving it provenance. I would say you are very lucky to have it.

I agree with Woody - that is a pretty awesome medal. I've gotten several medals and pins that came direct from the vets but this one is unique and though I've also looked and looked and I can find nothing on it in any of my reference books..

USCapturephotos

Well thanks again fellas for the efforts in identification. I hope one day to be able to report back to my veteran friend that we solved the mystery as he said he has wondered about it through the years. Also Woodymyster I know exactly what you are referring to with the NSDAP party badges. I have several of the more generic ones and also know the "Golden party badge" that you refer to with the early NSDAP party members. I really wonder if this medal could be something like that. Again it's hard to know for sure but it is interesting that the Kit Carson scout seemed to think that the dead communist soldier was of some importance as well.

Paul

USCapturephotos

Ok. So a big medal collector on another forum says that this was a political medal simply called "Ho Chi Minh" medal and was given out for a variety of deeds both at home in politics and on the battlefield. He claims them to be common and said there are many variations. He did produce a photo showing an unpainted version similar to mine so I'm thinking he may very well be correct. I would think more of them would be out there if they were so common at least in photos.

Paul