British P37 webbing in US use

earlymb

I came across this photo on another forum. The lieutenant on the left is wearing a British P37 webbing holster and pistol ammo pouch, and possibly a P37 belt too while the man on the right wears a M1917 holster (I think) that he somehow attached to a M8A1 scabbard with M3 knife. I think that the man with the British webbing somehow got it un-official, or was British P37 webbing sometimes issued to US troops?

post-80-0-06652700-1471003690_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-42758500-1471002478_thumb.jpg

I don't know, there was no more information with the photo. I also have no clue why it appears twice in my first post.

I have an airborne book here somewhere that has a photo of a US paratrooper wearing his M42 uniform and walking thru a town in France wearing the British canvas holster. The canvas held up better than the US leather holster. It is a cool picture but would be a miracle for me to find it.

Ronnie

Philipp Baughman

Don't intend to hijack, but is this a M1 Thompson with mafia style pistol grip under the barrel? Never seen this done with an M1. I have always thought those grips weren't used by Army troops.

Have only heard about those in use with Marines.

If you look in DeTrez book First Airborne Task Force you we see several pictures of Thompsons in several configurations. With and without stocks, modifications, etc. Unlike the uniformity of the paratoopers in the north, the troops down south were truly "Hollywood " in appearance. They modified and painted just about everything, like the trooper above.

man at middle wearing two basic pouches

Quite a few carry men them there and most seem to be the Australian pattern, which is wider than the standard model. Great pics!