My new find : AAF drill

usaaf93

Hello

Just wanted to share my new find here in France. A ww2 Army AIr Force drill with a 1942 contract.

It is the first one I have ever seen. You will notice that the electric plug is the European model. Do you think it was made this way or redone by someone to be used after the war. Do you know if the AAF used the local electric systems or did they bring the American one in the ETO ?

Thanks for your help

Julien

20160826.jpg
20160827.jpg
20160828.jpg
20160829.jpg

That is too cool. I suppose it could've been outfitted by the AAF that way for use overseas, or maybe left there after the war and picked up as surplus

phantomfixer

That is way cool!!! I don't think just changing the cord would convert it to 220....the drill would overspeed or just go poof and burn up the motor...does it work???

Looks like there is a data plate on one side with the voltage rating...can't make it out though...

Why in the world would anyone want to change it from 110 to 220? If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Hi ! Because I am in Europe and everything works in 220 !

I will not try it. I would like to live long if possible !

Got my answer by a french member. France changed its electric system after ww2. Before and during ww2 it was 110 just like in the USA. They changed to 220 in 1955.

Well boys, pardon my ignorance about the French power system. Now I see you have a good reason to convert it. Some of us learn something just about every day reading this forum!

If you really wanted to try it, there are converters available that can be used to run 110 equipment on 220. On second thought, maybe not trying it is the way to go. Either way, neat item!

Mikie

Well boys, pardon my ignorance about the French power system. Now I see you have a good reason to convert it. Some of us learn something just about every day reading this forum!

I learn new things everyday thanks to this forum !

Thanks for your comments