Ribbon Identification for my fathers decorations

klm10000

My father passed away a few weeks ago and we are putting together his flag and medals shadow box. He was a veteran of 21 years in the United States Air Force and retired in 1977. Going over his DD214 and jacket didn't really yield any new information about the decorations he wears in his retirement picture. It's black and white, so not super helpful. I've only managed to identify the meritorious service, good conduct, and longevity of service (top, middle right, and bottom right). What are the other four? I have a little higher res picture of the whole thing, but it's too big to upload and this is the best screen grab I could get. I'd appreciate any help you can give me, thanks.

post-163317-0-87272900-1470966088.jpg

From the looks of it its: Meritorious Service Medal, Air Force Commendation w/ OLC, Air Force Outstanding Unit Award w/ OLC, Air Force Good Conduct Medal w/ 3 Silver or Bronze OLC, Army Good Conduct Medal w/ 3 or 4 Knots?, ?National Defense Service?, and then the Air Force Longevity Service ribbon that you pointed out originally.

D

Thank you very kindly, I was having a really hard time with trying to convert the color and find any decoration that matched. Much appreciated! Since I only have his meritorious service medal and decoration, is there anyplace that's better for ordering those or would a BX be just as well?

If you have his DD form 214, look for the AFSC and career field.

In the 30 odd years since your Dad's retirement, the Air Force went to a whole series of occupational badges.

Retirees were qualified for badges based on the AFSC they held and the years of service in that AFSC. If there was a badge, it may not be listed on the discharge.

In the late 1970s, the only enlisted occupational badges that existed were actually qualification badges like Security Police, Air Traffic Controller, Administration and possibly Weapons Controller.

As for replacing the medals, get the death certificate and DD Form 214, and submit both on an SF-180 to NPRC. You will be requesting their replacement. The request will go to AFMPC.

Thinking about it, I bet the Army GCM has 2 knots (3 awards) for 9 years, and the AF GCM has a further 3 OLCs (4 awards) for 12 years which add up to your dad's 21 years of service.

You can order replacement medals (it will take a few months), but for just a ribbon rack, the BX would be fine. You'll need a 7-place ribbon bar, the 7 ribbons, and the OLCs and knots, probably under $20 total.