A Photo of a VN Bringback.

patches

Found this one and had to share it, a just returned and unknown GI from an unknown Vietnam based unit at the Oakland Army Terminal with his SKS, circa 1970.

post-34986-0-32501500-1470965648_thumb.jpg

I love this. What an iconic shot. I have a shot of a Gi holding a captured ak 47 I'll try to post soon.

Paul

post-34986-0-77479900-1470966522.jpg

PEACE MAN :D :lol:

Yeah man, would love to see that AK 47 one.

Seems like every time I went to the airport in the early 1970's there was a soldier or Marine or two walking around with a bringback weapon. As I recall most were T-53's...

badash5946 makes an interesting recollection.

So Now how did this work if the man was finished with his military service obligation, like a draftee, his two years are up right after his return from The RVN, and he's now discharged and leaves directly from Oakland Army Terminal or Ft Lewis? These guys usually flew civilian airlines home right, we know some flew MATS, but the majority flew civilian.

So if civilian, or maybe even USAF MATS,what was the way they carried them, did they just put the weapon by itself, uncovered or wrapped on top of their duffel bags and AWOL bags along with any other bags they might of bought and check them? Did they have to put them special carrying bags specifically for a long arm, or had to wrap them, say with brown paper or newspaper? Don't really think it would be allowed as a carry on right?

badash5946 makes an interesting recollection.

So Now how did this work if the man was finished with his military service obligation, like a draftee, his two years are up right after his return from The RVN, and he's now discharged and leaves directly from Oakland Army Terminal or Ft Lewis? These guys usually flew civilian airlines home right, we know some flew MATS, but the majority flew civilian.

So if civilian, or maybe even USAF MATS,what was the way they carried them, did they just put the weapon by itself, uncovered or wrapped on top of their duffel bags and AWOL bags along with any other bags they might of bought and check them? Did they have to put them special carrying bags specifically for a long arm, or had to wrap them, say with brown paper or newspaper? Don't really think it would be allowed as a carry on right?

The way my dad brought his home is similar to the guy pictured though he didn't have any papers with it and it was stuffed in his sea bag the entire trip. He told me at one point the tip of the barrel punched a hole into the bag and the barrel was sticking out of the bottom of the bag but no one ever questioned him about it or asked for his paperwork. Heck he wasn't even checked when he first left Vietnam and was able to smuggle home most of his issue gear, which I also have. He still regrets not sneaking home his 1911 like a couple other guys in his unit did but he did bring home his ka bar, which is more personal to me anyway.

A relative had 3 tours.One flight out country they were just told to leave the items with the stewardess to be stowed in a forward area.When departing the aircraft he and anyone else with a bring back were handed back the weapon.The pistol he had he carried on and off the aircraft Other items he sent home at different times...differnt times for sure

A relative had 3 tours.One flight out country they were just told to leave the items with the stewardess to be stowed in a forward area.When departing the aircraft he and anyone else with a bring back were handed back the weapon.The pistol he had he carried on and off the aircraft Other items he sent home at different times...differnt times for sure

Yeah that's for sure.

USCapturephotos

Here you go Patches. He's obviously in country and not trying to take this one home. Still love the photo and have always wondered what the guy behind him is about to say. I have a similar shot of my cousin who was a Huey pilot with the "Copperheads" holding a captured AK.

Paul

suwanneetrader

My Little Cousin was a Tunnel Rat in VN. He found what he called "a whole hillside" full of new Chinese weapons mostly rifles. He and most others there got them a rifle, but alas they were taken away from them. In the 70's my wife and I went to a Gun Show in Baton Rouge and I bought an English Crossbow and a KY Rifle. One was too wide and the other too long to fit in my metal cases which I ran thru baggage. When I asked (after walking thru the airport openly carrying them) I was told no problem as they would put them in the cockpit with the pilot and they would be returned to me in the terminal at my destination. The good old days before everything went to %%@*. When my son was in highschool 1986 - 90 at a rural N. FL school during deer/hog season the boys took their guns to the Principal's office if they had been in the woods at daylight and did not go home before school start. Richard

• 1 month later...

Soldier with the SKS is Mike Eklund, 1st Cav. Veteran. SKS may have come out of the massive cache that was uncovered during the incursion into Cambodia.