Help identifying WW2 USN pilot

Lawdog

I recently obtained this 1943 "Navy Aviation" textbook from the US Naval Institute at Annapolis Maryland. It's inscribed with the student pilot's name and unit of assignment. Can anybody assist me in locating information on this individual? I'd be very appreciative!

Thank you!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

northcoastaero

"Big-10" could stand for the USS Yorktown (CV-10) which the squadron VF-9 was a part of flying the F6F Hellcat during 1945. Try an internet

search engine or fold3.com for the pilot. There is an Osprey Publications book on the WWII aces of VF-9. Hope this helps.

"Big-10" could stand for the USS Yorktown (CV-10) which the squadron VF-9 was a part of flying the F6F Hellcat.  Try an internet search engine or fold3.com for the pilot.  Hope this helps.

Thank you!

Jim MacDonald

Lawdog,

This is kind of a mystery. Tried to find some info on Lundy in my VF-9 microfilm & other sources I have & couldn't find anything. He wasn't mentioned in any of the rosters for any of the tours that VF-9 did in the Atlantic & Pacific. Lundy didn't shoot down or damage any Japanese planes.

Checking my aircraft loss database & found that he wasn't piloting any planes that were lost to due to combat, ditching or accidents. I haven't scanned my F6F accident reports, so I don't know if he was involved in any accidents or not.

I'll continue going over the ACA-1s (combat reports) & see if he's mentioned in any of those.

Sorry I couldn't find anything to help,

Mac

Lawdog,

This is kind of a mystery. Tried to find some info on Lundy in my VF-9 microfilm & other sources I have & couldn't find anything. He wasn't mentioned in any of the rosters for any of the tours that VF-9 did in the Atlantic & Pacific. Lundy didn't shoot down or damage any Japanese planes.

Checking my aircraft loss database & found that he wasn't piloting any planes that were lost to due to combat, ditching or accidents. I haven't scanned my F6F accident reports, so I don't know if he was involved in any accidents or not.

I'll continue going over the ACA-1s (combat reports) & see if he's mentioned in any of those.

Sorry I couldn't find anything to help,

Mac

Weird...it's like the guy didn't exist!

I wonder if he went through the V-5 program the same way President Gerald Ford did, getting commissioned but not becoming a pilot? http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,121339,00.html

If he was stateside during the war he likely would not show up in any of the military records avalable through ancestry.com and other such sources.

Jim MacDonald

Bob,

That's a possibility. Ford's classification is D-VS, the same as Lundy. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that any aviation related classification began with A-V. With a D-VS classification would that mean that that person is not involved with aviation at all?

What register is this from? Can you check in that register to see what the 1105 designator meant in WWII? Currently, that would be a designator for a non-warfare qualified general reserve line officer (according to Wikipedia).

Lawdog,

I finished checking the microfilm of the VF-9 ACA-1s. Fortunately, VF-9 included the names of all the pilots involved in each mission at the end of each ACA. Lundy's name is not mentioned, so I'm confident that he was not involved with VF-9 as far as combat is concerned. I haven't scanned the VBF-9 microfilm yet, so I couldn't check that, but I checked what little Fold3 has on VBF-9 and Lundy wasn't in there either.

Mac

Thanks, Mac! I was excited when I first located this book, hoping that it might have a connection to a combat pilot. Maybe he washed out?

Thanks, Mac! I was excited when I first located this book, hoping that it might have a connection to a combat pilot. Maybe he washed out?

Maybe he washed out?

He did get commissioned: if he washed out or the class was cancelled, he'd have to serve as an enlisted man.

I believe the man you are looking for is Claude Wilson Lundy, Jr., born in 1925. Under the family trees section of Ancestry.com, someone has posted several documents including military discharges and a CAP certificate. They reference him being in the USNR and the V-5 program.

You're right, that is a W. Born Jan 15, 1925?

The middle initial in the signature is definitely a "W." I believe some of the info on previous posts identified a Claude V Lundy.